+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running Time/Intervals for Filter/Pump?

Default Running Time/Intervals for Filter/Pump?

Hi,

I know I've read somewhere on the forum that running the pool filter is best done twice per day rather than all at one time. However, if it is not possible to operate it twice a day, is there an optimum time of day to do it? At night? In the morning? In the afternoon? Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks!
    Peggy
    14 ft. x 4' round AG vinyl pool; 6% bleach; some dichlor shock, some trichlor tabs; Dry acid; Muriatic acid; 1 speed Intex SF15110 SAND filter/pump; 6-8 hrs; Taylor K2006; utility water; no covers yet

Bosch232 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Bosch232 0

Default Re: Running Time/Intervals for Filter/Pump?

I read that as well in some literature recently, that two intervals per day are better than one long one. Can you put your pump on an automatic timer? That would be simplest.
    16x32 Oval AG vinyl pool; Media Master sand filter; 1.5 hp 1 speed pump; 10 hrs; Rural utility water; Taylor K-2006

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

I have operated both once a day and twice a day and I have not seen a difference between the two so I don't think it matters all that much. If FC were to drop to a critical level, mixing the water some might make a difference. For skimming, it can make a bit of a difference since debris drops on the pool all the time but I would not get too concerned if you can run the pump only once per day.

Also, as long as FC levels are appropriate, the time of day should not matter much either but if I had to pick a time, it would probably after sunset. That would be the most logical to mix up the water and even out the FC levels overnight.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thank you for the responses. The timer on our pump can only be configured to turn on/off once per day, so I think I will go with setting it to turn on in the evening. That is what I assumed might be the best option, but having it confirmed by your logic is helpful.

Peggy
    14 ft. x 4' round AG vinyl pool; 6% bleach; some dichlor shock, some trichlor tabs; Dry acid; Muriatic acid; 1 speed Intex SF15110 SAND filter/pump; 6-8 hrs; Taylor K2006; utility water; no covers yet

+ Reply to Thread