+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post Isaac Situation (cloudy)

jilted is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jilted 0

Question Post Isaac Situation (cloudy)

So about 24 hours before the power went out, I went ahead and spiked the pool with bleach just figuring I would lose power for a while. I was out for 3 days. We had a swimming/cleaning party over the weekend and got all the leaves, sticks, and branches out (a few wheel barrels full). The water was still in pretty darn good shape and very clear. After getting out all the debris, I started running the polaris with a "panty ho" on it to pick up all the tiny debris. Since then it has been very cloudy. I turned off the polaris and it started clearing up. When I ran it again it got cloudy again.

Do I have some really tiny debris that the filter or polaris is not picking up? The filter pressure is only up 5 psi since last backwash.

Thanks!

picture of pool from yesterday:

Salt: 2500 (down from 20" of rain and having to partial drain)
    CYA: 60 ppm
    Alkalinity: 90 ppm
    pH: 7.6
    Free Chlorine: 4.0 ppm
    Combined Chlorine: 0 ppm
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-10-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: photo fix
    26,500g inground vinyl liner (new liner installed June 2013)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump - Hayward sand filter (sand changed in spring 2009)
    Compu Pool CPSC36 SWCG - Polaris 380 cleaner

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Post Isaac Situation (cloudy)

Take the chlorine level back up. With a CYA of 60, 4 is a little low. Run your pump 24/7 right now while you are working to clear it up. Could just be tiny stuff. After a couple of days, if you are still cloudy, maybe try adding a little DE to your filter. Adding DE to a Sand Filter

Increasing FC now. Same thing happened when I ran the polaris again, it went from pretty clear to totally cloudy. Pump has been running non stop for quite a few days now. Whatever it is, it's settling on the bottom of the pool and only stirs up when the polaris runs.

Is there a better/worse place to get some DE if I want to try that? I'm really not THAT worried about it since its getting close to shutdown and the liner has to be replaced before next season. (a few above water line holes)

I'm really struggling to keep the FC up with the swcg during August especially. I've been running it on 100% output for 12 hours a day (pre hurricane) and I'm still finding myself having to supplement with bleach. Does that seem normal? This swcg is supposed to support 36,000-40,000 and I'm well under that.

OK I got the FC back up and ran the filter and not the polaris. It got clear but started getting tiny debris collecting on the bottom. I ran the polaris for a few minutes and it started to get cloudy again. Whatever this is it doesn't seem to be getting trapped in the filter.

here's a picture not sure if it really helps but its a very fine debris that gathers on the bottom if i leave the polaris off for a while.

Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-10-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: photo fix

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

weird I just noticed there was a reply. I am not getting email notifications.

Well I just submitted my liner measurements so this one is coming out!

+ Reply to Thread