+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Natural Swimming Pool anyone?

Default Natural Swimming Pool anyone?

Hi, we are going to build a natural swimming pool and I'm wondering if anyone around here has any experience with such a thing?

AND...

I also need to find out the ins and outs of a pool site that's sloped.

Thanks in advance.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Natural Swimming Pool anyone?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

Here is a link to a long thread about natural swimming pools http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-Photo-Gallery that I think you need to read before you make a final decision. If you can't follow the link, give Ben a few days to complete your registration, or log out, go to the PoolForum main page, and scroll down until you see the category called "Photo Gallery". The first post in there that is NOT a sticky is the one I have linked to above.
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Natural Swimming Pool anyone?

membership updated. -ben.
    =======================

With respect to your question about natural pools, I'd strongly recommend that you check out the links in the natural pool thread Janet mentioned. But you need to be very cautious. All of the successful natural pools I've seen info on, are in cool areas. I'd strongly recommend that, instead of trying to find info online, that you contact some of the natural pool companies and ask for information about 'natural' pools that have been successfully operated in Hawaii for 3+ years.

If you cannot find such pools, I'd caution you to consider any pool you might have built to be purely experimental, and that you proceed ONLY if you are willing to lose the entire amount it costs you.

Plus, there's another issue. Natural pools do NOT have any sanitation method. That doesn't necessarily mean they are unsafe, but risks increase with water temperature. I'm not sure about the status of Naegleria fowleri in Hawaii, but you need to find out.

Necrotizing fasciitis is potentially of even greater concern. Again, this may not be an issue in Hawaii, but you are better placed than we are, to find out.

Good luck!

PoolDoc
    ===============================

Naegleria fowleri (commonly referred to as the "brain-eating ameba or amoeba"), is a free-living microscopic ameba*, (single-celled living organism). It can cause a very rare, but severe, infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). The ameba is commonly found in warm freshwater (e.g. lakes, rivers, and hot springs) and soil. Naegleria fowleri usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. Once the ameba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is usually fatal. Infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers. In very rare instances, Naegleria infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources (such as inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water or heated and contaminated tapwater) enters the nose
    from http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/

Necrotizing fasciitis . . . commonly known as flesh-eating disease or flesh-eating bacteria syndrome, is a rare infection of the deeper layers of skin and subcutaneous tissues, easily spreading across the fascial plane within the subcutaneous tissue.
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

Other organisms may rarely cause necrotizing fasciitis, but when they do, the resulting infections are often difficult to treat successfully. For example, Aeromonas hydrophila (a Gram-negative rod-shaped bacterium) has recently been the source of this disease in a 24-year-old who cut her thigh in a homemade zip line accident in the U.S. The organism established itself and caused the otherwise healthy young woman to have her leg amputated, and she may suffer further complications over time. Although Aeromonas hydrophila is usually associated with warm brackish water and causes infections in fish and amphibians, gastroenteritis is the disease it causes most often in humans when the water sources are swallowed. Because it is often resistant to multiple antibiotics, it is difficult to eradicate if it infects human tissues. In addition, once it infects tissues, its enzymes and toxins allow a rapid entrance of the organisms to the bloodstream, causing sepsis and infection of other body organs.
    from http://www.medicinenet.com/necrotizi...itis/page2.htm

Also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002415/

+ Reply to Thread