+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musty Smell...

Elias is offline ** No working email address ** Elias 0

Default Musty Smell...

For the past two years I have had a constant musty smell to the water in the pool. Test numbers look good, and I have shocked several times to try and rid myself of the problem.

It is a Sand filter that has never been changed, could that be the problem?

Are there any other additives I could use to remove this smell?

Any help would be appreciated.

Eli

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Musty Smell...

Sounds like mold. Have you checked around the pool, in any area where water could be? I don't think it's in the water itself.
    Carl

gregugadawg Guest

natural chemistry makes a product call pool perfect that works very well for something like this. It isn't a chemical so you don't have to worry about that, it is all natural.

Elias is offline ** No working email address ** Elias 0

I guess it could be mold... Wouldn't the Chlorine take care of a Mold problem though?

Also, I will give the Natural Chemistry "pool perfect" a try, it does sound like what I might need (if it works as advertised)

Thanks,

Eli

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Pool Perfect is an enzyme product. It helps to digest organics in the water (funny, so does chlorine!). It is destroyed by high chlorine levels and is expensive. It might be 'natural' but it certainly IS a chemical that you are adding to your water. Enzymes are composted of amino acids and the last time I checked those were chemicals (as are the protiens that they make up)! BTW, it does cause some slight foaming and this is even documented on the NaturalChemisty website (and from my own experiences with it). My builder gave me almost their entire line as part of my 'startup' package. I have not run out to replace any of them once they were used up. The products do work as claimed but I just have not had the need for them. I would consider their phosphate remover if I ever had an algae prolbem and phosphates in the water were the limiting factor. (I have about 1000ppm phosphates in my water, as does most of N FL and have NEVER had an algae problem since the pool was put into operation.)

If you have a mold or mildew problem, which can cause a musty smell, then chlorine is probably your best bet. The mold might not be IN the pool but around it where the poolwater doesn't cover but that might stay damp or wet. Some bleach and water in a spray bottle will take care of it once you find it.
    Last edited by waterbear; 05-29-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread