+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chlorine wont stabilize

Default Chlorine wont stabilize

Hello to all, ive been trying to get my chlorine to stabilize with no success yet. I have added 4 lbs of stabilzer, inn two pound intervals around 3 weeks ago and still my chlorine drops to zero reading with 36 hours. I bring the chlorine back up to acceptable ranges and within 36 hours its gone again. I have tested everything but the CYA levels, Ph is 7.2, Alkaline is around 120-130...not sure what the issue is. I know I need a test for my CYA but surely if it does not burn off, 4 lbs should have stabilized it..right?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Chlorine wont stabilize

We'll need more information to be able to help. Please put your pool's info into our pool chart. Also, tell us exactly what all you have added to the pool, meaning ingredients and not product names like "shock."

Pool Chart Entry Form

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by tlindsey18 View Post
    I have tested everything but the CYA levels
    And there you have it!
    You need to KNOW the CYA level to know how high you need to keep the chlorine and how high you need to shock if there is a problem,

Also, do you have any combined chlorine (or are you only testing for total chlorine with an OTO test kit?)

My suspension is that you do have CYA. However, there is no way of knowing if it is too little, too much, or just right and there is another problem going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlindsey18 View Post
    my chlorine drops to zero reading with 36 hours
    Depending on the initial free chlorine level, the type of chlorine being used (stabilized vs. unstabilized0 and the amount of use and sunlight the pool gets this could just be normal chlorine loss or might indicate a problem.

As Watermom said, we need more info about your pool, your testing method, and the poducts you are using.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

ok..
    i did the pool chart before, not sure what happened to it....anyway I completed it again. I am using liquid bleach (6%), muratic acid, when needed, and Borax. I have added 4 lbs of stabilizer from Home Depot (straight sanitizer) and then the liquid bleach every other day. Other than that nothing has been added, no triclor tablets or anything...

+ Reply to Thread