+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much closing a pool do I need to do?

Default How much closing a pool do I need to do?

I read about draining water, plugging returns etc..and I was concerned I would not do it correctly.

We called the local pool store to get an estimate on a prof pool closing, so we could learn. I was surprised to hear they said we didn't have to do 'all that' because it doesn't get that cold. We live in WA. I can get down to mid 20's on a bad winter day. Typical is mid-low 30's at night and higher 30's for the day.

I'm worried about draining too much water and huring my precious pool. I thought about getting it below the skimmer and then putting on a cover. I have no idea what to plug the return with!

Would I ruin the sand filter if I did a complete drain? Can you tell I'm a bit paranoid about taking all the hoses off, etc..and not hooking it back up correctly. (yeah, I'm taking pictures!)

Cover: We have a mesh cover. Is that ok?
    doughboy 24x24 AG round 16,100 gal with 3.5 and 6.5 deep end. Doughboy sand filter. Doughboy 1 hp pump. Tropi-cal 75k btu heat pump.

Default Re: How much closing a pool do I need to do?

anyone with thoughts?
    doughboy 24x24 AG round 16,100 gal with 3.5 and 6.5 deep end. Doughboy sand filter. Doughboy 1 hp pump. Tropi-cal 75k btu heat pump.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Watermom, I did and that is what I intended to do! I wanted to get a pool guy out to show us the first time. When we called the local store, they thought we were nuts that we wanted to do 'all of that'. The guy went on to say that he doesn't do anything but close with chemicals and put on a cover. No skimmer protection, unhooking the hoses, etc..
    So, yes, I'm confused to how much I really need to do.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you live where it freezes, you either need to make sure your pipes/hoses are totally drained or disconnect them or you risk damage. Also, you do need to lower the water level below your skimmer and return jet. I don't put any gizmos in my skimmer since the water level is below it so it is not needed.

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

I don't mean to take over this thread but I too have a questions about closing AG pool. The pool store told me to NOT lower below skimmer since it would affect the pool cover...Is that true??
    ALSO and most important WHAT do I have to put in a 15' round pool?? I plan on buying polyquat 60, a winter pillow,skimmer plate, a winter cover, a submersible pool cover pump and NO chemicals from the store. How much bleach do I use? Best Guess Chart to Super Shock. My CYA is about 45.. Plan on closing in about 3 weeks...waaaaa....
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

Quote Originally Posted by mroll View Post
    I don't mean to take over this thread but I too have a questions about closing AG pool. The pool store told me to NOT lower below skimmer since it would affect the pool cover...Is that true??
    ALSO and most important WHAT do I have to put in a 15' round pool?? I plan on buying polyquat 60, a winter pillow,skimmer plate, a winter cover, a submersible pool cover pump and NO chemicals from the store. How much bleach do I use? Best Guess Chart to Super Shock. My CYA is about 45.. Plan on closing in about 3 weeks...waaaaa....
    I also created a thread about closing my IG vinyl pool but didnt get much response. Other than the couple of stickies, neither of which seem to apply much to me, there is precious little info about closing pools here.

As such, I guess I'll stick to my usual routine of using the same closing kit I've always used and has worked well:

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsuppl...ikitforpo.html

I was hoping to see if there is a less expensive, but just as effective way of closing.

To the OP, I'd be glad to share my closing routine if it would help you.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Don't worry about draining your sand filter, the less water in it, the less can freeze. I drain mine every season's end.

Water freezing IN the pool is ok, even good. Water freezing in lines, fittings, filter, pump or skimmer is not so good, or really, really bad.
    Carl

Well, we did the right thing and dismantled it all and stored it away. It wasn't has difficult or scary as we thought it would be. We threw in a winterizing kit and will check the water monthly.

Since we live in a heavily treed area, we did put on a mesh cover. We have 4 pillows underneath and lowered the water level 3 inches or so below the skimmer.

Question: The cover is supposed to touch the water, correct? The pillows are in the middle and create sort of a small bump. Is that ok? Or should they be stacked? My big fear is the cover and weight collapsing my precious pool.

Lastly, what should the numbers on the FC be? I see some have it at 10 ppm? Our CYA is running a bit high right now at 75, with our FC at 10.5 PH 7.7 (ish)

Should we raise or lower anything?

It was a sad day closing our pool. I can't wait until next spring!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

With your CYA at 75, you need to keep the Cl between 5-10 ppm, so at 10.5 you're fine.

+ Reply to Thread