+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need a new pump?

Default Do I need a new pump?

My pool has been leaking water, but because it is right next to my A/C drain, I really couldnt tell where it was. Finally channeled the A/C drain away and figured out my pump is where the leak is. I guess its coming from underneath the pump. None of the PVC is leaking and the lid is fine. Do I need a new pump or is this something fixable?
    18x36 3.5 - 8' depth, IG pool with SWCG; ~21K gal

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Do I need a new pump?

It's probably a shaft seal that needs to be replaced. If so, around here it's a $8 part that takes 10 mintes to replace. But if you don't replace it, all the water that is leaking into the motor itself will rust the bearings--and THEN you need a new pump!
    Janet

Any DIY threads on this? Extremely hard to search on my phone. Thanks!
    18x36 3.5 - 8' depth, IG pool with SWCG; ~21K gal

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Might want to take a look at YouTube and see if they have a video. I just got an exploded view of my pump/motor from the Mom n' Pop pool store here, and it's pretty much self-explanatory from there. The first time I had to replace mine, I just took the pump apart one piece at a time, making sure that I remembered the order to put it back. It was easy and took only a few minutes to replace.

A few years later, when my pump started leaking from the bottom, I ignored it for the whole season.....and so when Spring hit this year and my bearings were seized because I ignored it, I spent the first few days of swimming time replacing my pump, and the next 2 weeks cleaning up my swampy pool! Won't do that again......

Janet

+ Reply to Thread