+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sodium hydroxide?

Default sodium hydroxide?

Just got word from several retailers in my area that plain old sodium hypochlorite will soon be a thing of the past at least here. Seems even Walmart is letting their bleach section empty out, in favor of the "new & improved" ultra blend. When asked about it, all retailers tell me the same thing. It will be a blend of sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide.

Do we really want LYE (caustic soda, sodium hydroxide)in our pools?

Am I going to have to go elsewhere to find straight bleach?
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Default Re: sodium hydroxide?

I have been purchasing the "new and improved" bleach from Walmart/Target/Kroger (store brands) etc (they all let their bleach sections completely empty out before putting only the new/improved stuff on the shelves too)... so far they all just list Sodium Hypochlorite 8.25%... sodium hydroxide is not listed on the ingredient labels.
    16' round 5K gal Intex AG vinyl pool; 8.25% bleach; Unicel & Filbur cartridges; Intex Krystal 635T pump; 8hrs; Taylor K2006; utility & well water; summer: none; winter: take down; android phone; PF:24

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Sodium hydroxide has always been an "ingredient" in "plain, old sodium hypochlorite". In fact, one of the methods of manufacturing sodium hypochloite is by bubbling chlorine gas through sodium hydroxide. The sodium hydroxide actually helps maintain the shelf life. Liquid pool chlorine also contains sodium hydrxoide for that matter.
    To the best of my knowledge the 'new, improved' bleach being sold is stronger. It is 8.25% instead of 5.25% or 6% so it contains less water. This means it is less expensive to ship and that they can charge more for it, much like the "ultra" 2x and 3x strength laundry detergents and fabric softeners! However, just like with pool chlorine at 10% and 12.5% it will have a shorter shelf life than the 6% strength.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Yeah, and it's also in a smaller bottle, which pretty much negates the increase in strength for me, as far as number of bottles I have to transport.....

+ Reply to Thread