+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternate Pool Sanitzer?

Default Alternate Pool Sanitzer?

I will be installing an indoor, small (9 x 12 foot) exercise pool in a few weeks. Because chemistry is very hard for me, and as the only person who will be using (most of the time) and caring for the pool, I was thinking of using a UV & chlorine system (about 0.5 PPM the info says?). Does anyone have any strong thoughts about this type of system? I have a SLIGHT allergy to chlorine, and after observing some fellow long term swimmers at the YMCA, I noticed a lot have sinus issues - I know not necessarily the fault of chlorine, but one fellow who swims EVERYWHERE (his own pool in summer) says the problems are from it and he's not quick to poke accusations. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-29-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: turn signature on
    9x12 rectangle 2.8K* gal AG vinyl pool; unknown - still deciding; utility water; summer: vinyl; winter: none; iPhone; PF:42

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Alternate Pool Sanitzer?

1. Indoor pool are a different beast, and there are a variety of issues usually not considered, that you REALLY need to consider.
    2. There is no such thing as a "chlorine allergy"; if there were, you couldn't drink tap water or shower without problems -- this year, I finally found the data to put that claim in its coffin.
    3. There ARE problems with monochloramine, when it's been used to replace chlorine, though they may not be true allergies. These problems DO show up from showering and bathing.
    4. Using UV with chlorine can help avoid some of the problems that arise when chlorinating indoor pools, where swimmers regularly pee in the pool (ie, all competition pools, like the YMCA)
    5. The threads below cover some of the info you need to examine.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17276
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14395
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14621

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You'd indicated in email you wanted to post again -- did you lose the thread?

Yes, I did want to reply, and didn’t lose the link, but it was kind of you ask in case. Thanks, also for your earlier response and the links.

The above ground exercise pool I’m installing indoors will allow only a little over 5’ head room above the water (good thing I’m short! ). An HVAC person has looked at it for venting and moisture control. I’m hoping that what he comes up with should also be adequate for chlorine vapors as well, but wouldn’t have thought of it without your comments (thanks again!), and my father says the wiring should be insulated and in tubing, so hopefully that shouldn’t be concern either?

With the UV, and because the pool will mainly be used by me, and on occasion some family members, and even less frequently by friends, does 0.5 ppm sound adequate?

As for other choices than the chlorine ….

Is Bromine a GOOD option? I know you said not in sunlight, & since UV is a kind of replacement for sunlight, I’m assuming it wouldn’t be useful with UV either? Do you support Bromine here at the forum?

I know *you* use UV + peroxide + polyquat, and I think you said high maintenance, which makes me reluctant to go that route.

Bacquacil – I’d rather take it intravenously. After reading about the water mold, I would prefer to avoid like the plague. Also, since I’ll be pumping city water into my pool, I’m reluctant to replace it every 6 mos., even tho that’s what the Ipool recommends.

Nature2 – Apparently for my small pool, this is an option, but since it too needs a small amount of chlorine, I think I’ll stick with the UV and chlorine.

Did I miss anything?
    9x12 rectangle 2.8K* gal AG vinyl pool; unknown - still deciding; utility water; summer: vinyl; winter: none; iPhone; PF:42

+ Reply to Thread