Closed Thread

Thread: 24 agp return leak

Default 24 agp return leak

I just opened the pool I had installed late last summer. I decided to open the pool myself after having the pool store install and close it. I was very happy when I saw that the water was crystal clear when I took the cover off (clorine test show pretty dark orange so I guess it held the clorine well).

So my problem - I noticed a small drip in the return on the outside of the pool. It drips very slow but definitely noticable. When I turned on to test the pump it turned into a small stream of water running down the outside of the pool. By testing different variations (with eyehole thing on and with it off etc) I noticed that the drip only becomes a stream when I have the eyehole in and the pump on. I could call the pool store and wait a week or so before they come out or I figured I could ask here. I don't see anything that can be easily tightened so any ideas - I am guessing this is common although no other posts matched my issue on this forum?

I currently put the return plug back in and closed the quick shutoff to isolate and stop the leak. I didn't notice the leak last year by the way.

poolbuoy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst poolbuoy 0

Default Re: 24 agp return leak

Rubber gasket on the return fitting?

It looks to be near some white threads on the outside of the pool. As far as I can tell there is the white rubber gastket on the pool/liner side and on the outside some cork maybe and the the white threaded piece. The big white thread3ed piece looks like it can be turned maybe. It almost seems like if I put some silicone around the white threads it would stop but since its pressure side I don't think it would hold.

Here is a pic:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14710202640.jpg&s=f5

It is where the white threads meet that tightening plastic nut (not near the blue silicone.
    Last edited by cvoytek; 05-28-2006 at 10:22 AM.

I just went and got a new return. Bummed I have to drain below the return but oh well. Will post if it works.

It looks like there are gaskets on the part I insert pool side as well as the side with the nut as well as the cork piece. Does anyone know if the cork piece goes on the outside or inside of the pool? It was on the outside So I guess I'll do it the same. Just wondering if they installed it wrong last August.
    Last edited by cvoytek; 05-28-2006 at 11:28 AM.

poolbuoy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst poolbuoy 0

cork on the outside, rubber on the inside...

Quote Originally Posted by poolbuoy
    cork on the outside, rubber on the inside...
    Thanks poolbuoy! I tested the repair this morning. The new return is sealed but one of the elbows has a slow drip. I can isolate it and re teflon tape/silicone it I think. I just hope I don't break any seals on the return again.

Closed Thread