+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak - need some advice please

Default Leak - need some advice please

I have a 20' x 40' IG vinyl pool with 4'x8' polymer steps. I have notice a loss of water which has recently gotten worse. Today I valved my pump so that it would pull water out from the dry well under my pool and go to waste. The water was nice and warm so I was in the pool while it was doing this. I noticed a slurping sound by the steps and discovered that it was pulling water and air in from where the metal strip is between where the liner ends and the stairs start. This strip holds the liner to the wall and has stainless screws about every one inch all the way down to the bottom of the pool. Obviously something has gone wrong here and it is leaking. The question is how do I go about fixing this? Is there some sort of caulking I can apply under water or does the pool have to be drained to fix this?

Default Re: Leak - need some advice please

Doesn't anyone have an idea on this? Thanks.

I'm going to re-activate this thread. I also having been losing water in my in-ground vinyl pool. At night when it is really quiet, if I put my head down by the steps going into the pool, I can hear water trickling.

I suspect that it is leaking around the steps. How does one go about fixing a leak around the steps?

Bump

I too am having this problem
    I.G. Vinyl Pool 12' by 24' approx 10,000 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, T-15 Cell.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Bump..........I don't have the answers but hopefully keeping this at this top as a "new" thread will get some attention from somebody that does!

Janet

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Haven't said anything because I have no idea but I think my first step would be to find exactly where along that seal it is leaking. If you hear anything then it's a substantial flow and dye should find it pretty easily. Could it be a torn liner along that metal clamp? I have a bottle of dye tablets used for stream tracing and I dissolve a piece of one in water and use a syringe or for deeper leaks where I can't reach directly, a small garden sprayer with a long piece of auto vacuum hose jury rigged to the squirter. I then tape the hose to a pole and am ablle to inject dye anywhere I want. You may be able to find dye markers at a dive shop or even boil raw beets and use the red juice.
    Best I can suggest.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread