+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Liner slipping

Default Liner slipping

Hey -

I'm in the process of installing my 15x30 AGP.

I started to slowly fill it with water from a hose, had about 8" and the liner popped out on one end.

THe instructions say to put the seam of the liner on the cove. It does not say how much liner to overlap over the side. It's not a jhook liner.

The pool place said they typically put the same of the liner up the wall alittle bit and overlap the liner about 6 inches on a hot day so it'll stretch lots.

I'm guessing they know what they are doing, but why would this happen? The liner is held on by these long U shaped clips, then the top plate.

Any insight is appreciated.

THanks,
    Brad

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Liner slipping

Ted knows liners; I asked him to look.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

As long as the overlap was ~ equal all the way around the pool, all is fine!

If the liner will no longer go over the wall and be held in by the retaining piece, there is a problem and you need to stop filling the pool.

Please don't worry about an even overlap outside the pool - what's most important is that the liner inside the pool is wrinkle free.

Please let us know how it all works out - I'm hoping that you'll be swimming tonight
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I'm not sure I follow.

I was filling the pool, and the liner 'slipped' off on one side. Once it did that, I could no longer pull it back over. I stopped filling the pool and drained it this morning.

You can see my photo's here:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...all&highlight=

Basically the liner slipped off to the right of the ladder in this picture:

The liner is wrinkle free, on the floor for sure.

In the same picture, you can see some wrinkles in the wall sections. Is that what you mean?

The overlap wasn't equal all the way around. One end I had about 6" let's say, on the other I had about 2".

So I guess I should make it 6 and fill it when it's sunny?

Thanks for the reply!

Brad

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Feel free to post a full set of photos, as you go. It will help others, later.

Neat application of the folding ladder . . . I've got one, but that never application never occurred to me. (I've never installed a metal wall type AG pool.)

Yeah, the ladder worked well, especially because the depth of the pool was lower then the ground, so it worked well.

So now my liner is consistently 6" overlapped around the pool. I put about 2-3" of water in and will start putting more in tomorrow once it's sunny.

So it's sunny out and the pool has been filling for about 3-4 hrs. It's about 8" now.

The liner has slipped in one spot, about 1/4". So far so good. Note the pencil line vs the liner.

You can hear the liner actually stretching.

Now it's slipping, a lot!!

Notice the pencil line near the psot, it's slipped quite a bit and only has about 1 maybe 2" of overlap. This is on the one end

Same corner, but from the inside of the pool. Notice the pattern difference.

The sides seem to be OK:

What's odd, is the liner is right up against the wall on the sides, but on the ends it's like 1" away from the wall.

Does it make sense that either:

a) the pool is somehow incorrectly setup making the liner not fit on the ends

b) I didn't overlap enough

c) I dunno? haha

I don't think if I continue to fill it it'll hold. Maybe I should only fill when it's sunny, I dunno. I'm at a loss. If this slips off again,...

I think I found the problem...we started with the seam that goes in the cove about 6" above the cove, now it seems to have stretched/slipped to be on the floor. I've stopped the water, I'm guessing it shouldn't slip anymore, but not really sure if I should pull the water out and start over or not. I have about 8" of water in the pool

Well, I thought about it for a bit last night, and figured I'd start filling it again. If the liner popped out, it was going to anyways and this would give me a head start on draining it haha.

So I filled it from about 8PM till 11:30. The pool is up to 11". I couldn't get myself to let it run all night unsupervised. I started it again at about 6:30, and will watch it every so often to see how it's doing.

Now the water is climbing up the walls, pushing the liner directly against the wall on the ends. This I think is a good thing, hopefully, causing the liner to stretch on the sides. Perhaps it's now a difference force being applied against the liner (outwards against the wall, instead of down against the floor).

I have about 1" overlap left in some areas, very small. We will see!

+ Reply to Thread