+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement Light

Default Replacement Light

I have a Hayward Starlight - SP543-L that has gone dead. I would like replace the light but am not sure what will fit without replacing the Niche. Any ideas?
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-22-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: turn signature on
    18x36 rectangle 19.4* gal IG vinyl pool; skimmer tabs; Pacfab DE filter; 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; utility water; winter: vinyl / water bags; android phone; PF:6.2

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Replacement Light

Welcome to The Forum!

It's usually just the bulb that needs to be replaced.

MOST builders are savvy enough to leave a few feet of extra cord in the niche so you can unscrew the retaining screw and haul the light housing up onto the deck. Make sure the light won't turn on when it's out of the water!! (retaining screw should be phillips-head and located at the top center of the retaining ring)

Check the bulb and get back to us. You also need to know if it's 120 volt or 12 volt. If there is water in the housing, you'll need to completely dry it and get a new gasket.

Check it out and let us know what you find - we can help you with this.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership upgraded; Pool Chart data processed to signature.

Note the very significant difference between the gallons figure calculated from your dimensions, and the one you supplied directly.

I can confirm it is not the bulb....I had ordered a replacement bulb and was in process of replacing it. It is a 120V light. I have 120V as the junction box but nothing at the light. Internal to the light there is a "metal" cap that appears that it covers a "circuit" that would trip the breaker if water was in the light cavity. The cap easily (too easily) popped off and i found the "circuit" is rusted beyond repair. (Obviously some water had gotten it at one time - I should note that the light cavity was dry when I went to replace the bulb). Note - the retaining screw is slotted....I would like to replace the light housing. But since the Startlight series is old, I cannot find a replacement part. I am looking for advice on what replacement assembly will fit in the existing niche.
    18x36 rectangle 19.4* gal IG vinyl pool; skimmer tabs; Pacfab DE filter; 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; utility water; winter: vinyl / water bags; android phone; PF:6.2

bump - any thoughts on what will fit as a replacement light assy?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

I'm not 100% sure but any light should fit the existing niche, even between brands, the niches are fairly uniform and will accept a new light housing.

Have you talked with Hayward?

If you need help removing the old housing & cord and installing the new one - or, if you actually need the niche replaced - get back to us.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread