+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MY Intex pool is green and cloudy

Default MY Intex pool is green and cloudy

Help!!!! I have an ag intex 18" by 48" round pool. It sits under two trees and get dead leaves in the pool which I scoop out everyday. My filter is a Krystal Clear one speed that I run 24/7. I use chorine drops in a skimmer. I have a brush but no vaccuum. Here are my leavels

Cl = .5
    Br = 1
    Ph = 6.8 (but it did not match the it was yellow color
    alkainy 30 oom
    hardness 120 cya 30

Ok what do I need to do?
    Please helo Aaron

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: MY Intex pool is green and cloudy

Your most critical problem at the moment is the low pH reading. Readings below 7.0 are acidic and can damage your pool. Add a half a box of Borax slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running breaking up any clumps. After a few hours, retest pH and then add more Borax as needed until you get the pH above 7.0. (Anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is fine with 7.4-7.6 being best for most pools.)

Add a gallon of plain, unscented household bleach. (Most of us use Walmart's generic bleach.) That should add about 10ppm of chlorine.

Do you have a test kit? If so, what type? What are chlorine drops that you are using?

I think you are going to have to get some type of vacuum or else there is no way you can keep your pool clean.

I just bought the test kit from amazon that you said to get. I use the Chlorine drops from walmart hth brand.

Thanks Aaron
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-22-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: turn signature on
    18 round 6.7K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; skimmer tabs; "A" cartridge filter; Krystal clear Model 635t 1 speed pump; all the time hrs; HTH 6-way; K2006 on order ; utility water; summer: none; winter: pool is down in the winter; android phone; PF:18

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Post complete test results using the 6-way.
    + Add 2 gallons of PLAIN 6% household bleach every EVENING till the algae changes color;
    + The following evening, add 2 more gallons and BRUSH the pool

ALTERNATIVE:
    + Read the Intex EZ Start recipe; get what you need to follow it.
    + Drain your pool; refill to the 1 foot level.
    + Add 2 gallons of bleach and brush around the pool
    + Clean your filter.
    + Finish filling and begin following recipe.

Recipe: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055

Ok didn't receive the test kit yet.... I did the borax and the bleach around 10am and when I got home 6pm it was not as green. So I scrubbed the sides and bottom and added another gallon will see how it looks in the am. Will test with the walmart test kit for now. Can't see the bottom as of yet. How do I maintain this after I get it clear?

I didn't do the start up plan because I didn't know that this forum existed until I had a question about my filter. It's working and I want to thank you for all the input. It's been helpful. I like your way of thinking better than pool stores.

For now the pool is not as green as it was but still cloudy. Also the sides and bottom are not slimy so that seems good. I didn't get a vacuum yet so what do you think I should get to clean the bottom of the pool?

Thanks Aaron
    18 round 6.7K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; skimmer tabs; "A" cartridge filter; Krystal clear Model 635t 1 speed pump; all the time hrs; HTH 6-way; K2006 on order ; utility water; summer: none; winter: pool is down in the winter; android phone; PF:18

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just stay with the recipe I gave you.

You will need a vacuum set. Period. Also, buying Unicel cartridges will help; the Intex OEM don't seem filter algae particles. I'll put links for the Unicels and a vacuum set. You'll need to get the Unicel's online, but you may be able to find a vacuum set on clearance at Walmart, etc for a lot less.

Ben

===============================================

+ The OEM cartridges in Intex / Summer Escapes / etc. filters are not high quality. The Intex manuals recommend replacing them completely every 2 weeks. A BETTER option is to replace them permanently with 2 - 3 Unicel cartridges, and rotating them through a cleaning solution. Properly maintained, the Unicel cartridges will last all season AND will filter better. So even though they cost more per cartridge, they cost less per season! Learn to maintain them, by reading this post, Cleaning-your-Cartridge-Filter-wiithout-Damaging-It!

But, purchasing them is tricky. Amazon does not consistently stock them, and some of the 3rd party sellers are charging high prices and/or high shipping. So, check the Amazon link, but watch out for the prices and shipping costs.

It would be nice if you could just buy them elsewhere, but many of the online pool stores are listing Pleatco or other Asian made low quality filters, as "Unicel C-4607 type" or "fits Unicel C-4607". So shop carefully!

Here are the Amazon links:
    Unicel C-4607 Replacement Filter Cartridge (Easy Set Size A or C) @ Amazon
    Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter @ Amazon
    Poolmaster 27514 Classic Full View Triangular Vinyl Liner Vacuum
    Hydro Tools 8365 8- to 16-Foot Adjustable Fluted Premium Fluted Telescopic Pool Pole, White
    Hydro Tools 1-1/4-Inch Diameter With Swivel Cuff Pool Vacuum Hose
    One caution: it may be necessary to get some sort of adapter to connect vac hose to the skimmer or pool. Possibly, something like this
    Intex Vacuum Tube Adaptor
    However, I am NOT recommending that, because I'm not sure it's what you'll need, or even if you will need it. Also, I hate to see a $9 shipping charge with a $9 item -- that's not a ripoff necessarily, but I'd rather find a better way.

Hello,

This morning my pool is not Green Yea!!!!!! But it's still cloudy. How do I get it clear? I did buy the replacement filter cartridge from amazon. I should get it saturday.
    So now what do I do clear up the cloudy mess..... I did get a vacuum and already vacuumed the pool. My kids want to swim I told them not yet!!!! Let me know how to clear up the rest. When I get home I will do a test for the PH.... Thanks again for the help!!!!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Continue with the high chlorine levels and also run your pump 24/7 right now, cleaning the filter as needed. The chlorine will kill the algae but it is your filter that will filter it out.

Let 'em swim!

With your chlorine high, the only dangers are faded swimwear (from the chlorine) and a disappeared kid (from the cloudy water). Just keep a good eye on them, and have them wear old suits, and let them in!

Ok I recieved the test kit. I tested the ph and still to low. I added more bleach and the rest of the box of borax. Now what should I do to clear it up? I would like to to look into getting a new filter pump instead of what was bought any suggestions?

Do I keep adding the two gallons of bleach each evening or stop and now do what?

+ Reply to Thread