+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can cracked PVC be repaired?

Default Re: Can cracked PVC be repaired?

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

I found this:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/projects/...g%20PVC%20Pipe

Says it will fix leaks in PVC.

Anyone have any experience using this?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I have never had any putty epoxy last in a pressure side leak.

I have found only one product that works to repair PVC and stands up well to pressure side leaks. It is called Plast-aid. I have used it successfully several times now and have not had it fail but it does take a bit of practice to get used to. It cures in about 15 minutes to repairs are fast.
    http://www.plast-aid.com/
    Their website has some excellent demo videos of how to use it.
    The nice thing about it is that you can apply it as a glue or a putty so it can fill a crack. My only advice is use it outdoors if possible since the smell is really strong until it cures.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

jwhouse is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jwhouse 0

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post

I have found only one product that works to repair PVC and stands up well to pressure side leaks. It is called Plast-aid. I have used it successfully several times now and have not had it fail but it does take a bit of practice to get used to. It cures in about 15 minutes to repairs are fast.
    The nice thing about it is that you can apply it as a glue or a putty so it can fill a crack. My only advice is use it outdoors if possible since the smell is really strong until it cures.
    Interesting... That looks like it might work (apparently, it does). The putty stuff I doubt seriously but this plast-aid appears to be a filler and bonding agent and filler all in one. I may have to order some and give it a whirl myself.
    30' round 22K gal AG vinyl pool; skimmer tabs and GV Bleach; Hayward SD60 sand filter; Pentair 1.5 HP pump; hrs; ; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; K-2006 Test Kit ; PF:5.5

Thanks. I'll check that out.

I also did a Google search and found this:

3M 08101 Structural Adhesive worked for me for PVC pressure piping. It's urethane, not epoxy. In shear adhesion test with rigid PVC,
    the PVC breaks before the adhesive bond (2000 PSI).
    For even more strength, fiberglass cloth can be embedded in the patch. I patched our sand filter base which was broken into 3 pieces and used fiberglass mat for reinforcing.

Wear disposable gloves, and plan your application, because it sets rapidly.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glXQ8JG35VSMbl

http://www.handsontools.com/3M-08101...0-reviews.html

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you have a friend who is a pipefitter, most outfits today have a plastic welder and PVC rods. Cracks like you describe can be partially ground and then refilled. It does require a deft touch however, since there's a pretty fine line between melting PVC and burning it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I decided to give the Plast-Aid a try. I'll report back after I receive it and do the repair.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Get the middle or big kit so you can practice with the stuff first. Make a marble (the vid is on the website) so you can get used to it. I have not only used to to repair pvc, I have also used it for countless repairs on my RV

Get the middle or big kit so you can practice with the stuff first. Make a marble (the vid is on the website) so you can get used to it. I have not only used to to repair pvc, I have also used it for countless repairs on my RV
    Thanks for the tip. I ordered the 1.5oz size (I think that's the middle size). Does it come with instructions on how to prep the surface?

I did watch the video and it looks like it should work well for fixing the PVC leak.

surface just has to be clean. There are several videos on the website. Be sure to watch them all.

+ Reply to Thread