+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused on Bleach, Calcium Hypochlorite, and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate

Default Confused on Bleach, Calcium Hypochlorite, and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate

Ok,
    I'm ramping up to go on the BBB. I have read on this forum for hours. There is a ton of great info.

I've used the search function, but was unable to find what I'm looking for. If this is already discussed, then someone please just give me the link.

I'm attempting for find the best alternative to buying and hauling cases of beach. As well disposing of all the bottles. When I read the below information, I see that there are other options.

"The BBB Method is more about using just what you need, in the most efficient form, and nothing else, than it is about bleach, borax, or baking soda per se. For example, bleach cost relative to cal hypo (calcium hypochlorite) or dichlor (sodium dichloroisocyanurate) are up, compared to what they were in 1997. So either cal hypo or dichlor may be a better chlorine source for you."

So I began looking into the calcium hypochlorite. The best thing I can find is:

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...ock/14181.html

In case the link does not work, it is Leslie's Power Powder Pro Shock. This is not suppose to have any stabalizer (CYA) in it. It claims "73% Calcium Hypochlorite". My question would then be what is the other 27%? Would this be an alternative to bleach still in the paramaters of the BBB? Can you provide me with any potential negatives to this? I'm also trying to weight out the difference in expense. Is there anything in this product that would not fit in with the BBB method?

My reaserch has not taken me anywhere on the sodium dichloroisocyanurate. Is one better for different conditons over the other?

Help out the new guy....

Thanks in advance for your responses.

By the way, I have an AG 14k pool
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-22-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: turn signature on
    24 round 12.9K* gal AG vinyl pool; Frog; Hayward sand filter; Hayward pump; hrs; mineral' ; Strips; well; summer: none; winter: none; iPhone; PF:9.3

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Confused on Bleach, Calcium Hypochlorite, and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate

Calcium hypochlorite is a source of chlorine that can be used if your calcium levels are not already too high. High levels of calcium in a pool, combined with high pH and high TA, can precipitate the calcium out of solution, causing milky water. But..it's fine to use if you don't have high-calcium fill water, as long as you switch to something else when your calcium levels start getting too high.

Sodium dichlor is another source of chlorine that can be used until your stabilizer levels get to where you want them. Stabilizer (CYA) is like sunscreen for your chlorine--you need some to keep the sun from eating up all the chlorine, but the higher your CYA levels get, the higher your chlorine levels need to be to keep algae away. (There's a "best guess chlorine chart" linked in my sig that explains that concept further, but if you can't follow the link, then log out and go to the main forum page, into the section called "using chlorine and chlorinating chemicals". The chart is the second sticky in that section. If you use dichlor, it tends to drive your pH downward, so you'll need to keep an eye on it. However, in a pool that has high pH, high alk, and needs stabilizer, it is actually a better chem to use than any of the others.

Another alternative to using bleach might be using "liquid chlorine", if your state sells it (Louisiana doesn't). It is the same as bleach, but in double strength, and is often sold in carboys that can be refilled. For those who have it available, it often is the most efficient and cheapest source of chlorine. The downside is that it breaks down quickly in heat, so you have to be careful to make sure that it is actually the concentration (usually 12-15%) that the store says it is.

Hope this helps!
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Confused on Bleach, Calcium Hypochlorite, and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate

pool chart data processed; membership updated; searching enabled.

+ Reply to Thread