+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gnat Infestation

Angry Gnat Infestation

First year ever having my own pool. Out of nowhere the past 2 days the Pool is getting completely covered by Gnats. Literally takes me 45 minutes to Skim them all out. Fine all day and soon as it starts getting dark they are back. I do not have any lights on outside or outside Garbage of any kind. I do however live in the woods so I am sure that does not help. Am I the only one experiencing this or is this common in the Northeast at this time of the year? I do not know what to do. Can not even enjoy the pool in the morning or evening without having to spend an extremely long time cleaning. The Skimmer is not really trapping them at all and I have to do t manually each time. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. All my levels are good in regards to Chemicals and Water is Crystal Clear after I clean all the Gnats out of course.

Thanks,
    Lou
    24 round 15.3K gal AG vinyl pool; hand fed granual; XPUSA 16" 6 way Valve sand filter; XPUSA 1 HP Pump pump; Taylor 2006; well; summer: solar; winter: none; android phone; PF:7.8

Default Re: Gnat Infestation

No one replied so guessing it was a situation only I experienced.

To follow up though the infestation lasted only 2 nights and mysteriously just stopped. Of course I still get a few here and there but nothing near the hundreds I was getting for those two nights last week. This week is supposed to be Sunny all week so we will see if that changes. Last week the temp dropped and it was humid and raining most of the nights so maybe that had something to do with them dispersing.

We shall see, will hope for the best because that was a mess.
    24 round 15.3K gal AG vinyl pool; hand fed granual; XPUSA 16" 6 way Valve sand filter; XPUSA 1 HP Pump pump; Taylor 2006; well; summer: solar; winter: none; android phone; PF:7.8

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I've seen this happen to pools I serviced. As best I could tell, it was just a massive 'hatch' of that particular insect. If so, there's nothing you can really do . . . except to remember that pool lights, and REFLECTIONS of lights off the pool surface, attract insects.

Well it seems to be weather related now.

The warmer weather and sun returned yesterday and this morning so did the mass quantities of Gnats apparently. Must have swarmed the pool at dusk again as I did not go out there last night at all. This morning at the AM Reading the water was topped by a nice layer of Gnats once again. I have not done any night swimming at all partially due to this issue but is no lighting or anything other than moon light reflecting on the pool usually so looks like I can not do much more to prevent them from being attracted to the pool. Guess will just have to deal with it.

Hopefully it is not every night again this time. Is really time consuming to clean up and makes the pool very unappealing.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You could always invite a frog family to a feast . . . .

Have you been using your solar cover? It could serve to keep them out of the water.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Funny thing is I have a ton of Frogs out there at night. Can hear them unbelievably loud. Only have ever seen 1 max in the pool at a time though. Would take like 50 of them to handle that barrage of Gnats though lol.

Unfortunately I do not have a Solar Cover. Thought I did but the one that was in the Basement turned out to be no good and I really would prefer not to have to buy one as we only rent. However I may get one since would like to have one for next season as well so have not ruled it out as of yet. Hoping have better luck tonight with them.

+ Reply to Thread