+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear water, but have a slight oily,greasy film floating on top.

Default Clear water, but have a slight oily,greasy film floating on top.

Like I said, Have A BEAUTIFUL clear pool that you can see heads or tails on a dime from the bottom, but it seems there is just a real light oily or greasy film on the top. You have to be in direct sunlight and up close to even be able to see it. Just wondering what options I have to get rid of it. It does not bother me nor anyone else as it is so light and very unnoticable, just want to know if im being very anal about it or maybe a clarifier or poly-qaut or one of those enzyme treatment stuff will take care of it?

Levels Are:

TC - over 5ppm - a bright yellow slight orange
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 180
    TH - 320
    CYA - lower than 30ppm.

I Know i should get the cya up and get get accurate reading on it and the TC, but I seem to be doing fine without it since day one. I always add the same amount of bleach throughout the day and seem to keep the color levels on the TC very constant and have not encountered any algae breakouts.

Default Re: Clear water, but have a slight oily,greasy film floating on top.

That film is probably body oils, hair conditioner, sun tan lotion, sun screen, fabric softer . . . all the things that wash off when people get in the water. You can try to put a scum bug or scum ball inside the skimmer basket. These are available at pool stores and at amazon.com. They absorb oils as the water runs over them in the skimmer and will turn darkish brown after a while. Rinse them out, put them back in.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread