+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calculating dosage for borax and dichlor powder for Intex easy set pool

Default Calculating dosage for borax and dichlor powder for Intex easy set pool

Hi, I've just resurrected my 15ft Intex Easy Set pool and saw the page on the 7-day chemical start-up, etc, and I don't see any info on amounts for borax and dichlor powder, I only found the dosage chart for chlorine. Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious but I don't see it. I went to the PoolSolutions site and tried to use the calculator but the doses were WAY different from the chart on the Intex page (10 cups of bleach instead of 3/4 cup).

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Catherine

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Calculating dosage for borax and dichlor powder for Intex easy set pool

Here's dose chart,
    Dose Chart
    • 2500 - 3500 gallons => 1/2 cup = 1 dose
    • 3500 - 5000 gallons => 3/4 cups = 1 dose
    • 5000 - 7000 gallons => 1 cups = 1 dose
    • 7000 - 11,000 gallons => 1 1/2 cups = 1 dose
    • 11,000 - 14,000 gallons => 2 cups = 1 dose
    from the recipe page: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055

The dose is based on the gallons in your pool, and assumes you are using dichlor & borax. If you'll complete the pool chart
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    we can tell you more.

Default Re: Calculating dosage for borax and dichlor powder for Intex easy set pool

Yes, that's the dose chart that I found...does that chart apply to bleach as well?

I will fill out the pool chart next.

Also, I've got a leak in my inflated ring and am trying to find it with soapy water...any advice is welcome! I'm going to double-check the seal at the valve, too.

Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yes, those are the doses. No, I don't have any ideas about the inflatables. I'm beginning to think birds and cats kill those things -- there are a LOT of complaints about those style pools deflating, but it sounds like punctures which have occurred several days after the pool was put into use.

okay, thanks for the clarification.

I've tested the fill water and pool water with my Taylor K2006 kit and the pH is at least 8.0 (kit doesn't register any higher, but my pinch-a-penny kit went to 8.2). I have only put bleach in the water. Do I skip the borax and put in muriatic acid? I don't understand why the pH needs to be lower than our drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by swimg View Post
    I've tested the fill water and pool water with my Taylor K2006 kit and the pH is at least 8.0. . . . . I have only put bleach in the water. Do I skip the borax and put in muriatic acid? I don't understand why the pH needs to be lower than our drinking water.
    1. When you go off-recipe, the recipe no longer applies. The recipe is dichlor based; dichlor will lower your pH. Bleach won't, and in fact, tends to raise it slightly.

2. You have to decide what you're gonna do. If you're gonna follow the recipe, set the bleach down and go get some PURE dichlor. If you're NOT gonna follow the recipe, than the recipe dosing chart has NOTHING to do with you.

3. The liquid in your stomach is NOT at pH 8.0. Your stomach -- and your body generally -- has a chemical regulation system that is so far beyond ANYTHING used in water treatment, there's absolutely NO comparison. If you want to get an idea of the level of sophistication of internal regulation, watch this incredible video from Harvard University:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKW4F...eature=related

You should watch it at max resolution and full screen. It's a biologically accurate visualization of what happens within a SINGLE human cell! The most sophisticated swimming pool in the world doesn't even come close! My older son, who has a recent biochemistry degree, can narrate it, and explain all the bits and pieces, but I can't.

+ Reply to Thread