+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Home/Pool Owner. Deciphering my pool inspection report and how to fix

Default New Home/Pool Owner. Deciphering my pool inspection report and how to fix

First, I want to say thanks in advance. One of my goals of home ownership was to have a pool (let's face it - I'm in Texas and it's hot for nine months of the year!), but now I'm closing on a home, the learning curve for pool ownership has begun.

I have a couple of pool related items that google isn't helping much with, hoping I can get some help here. I've still got a little under three weeks before move-in date, so I'm a bit limited on my ability to check things out / take pics / get more info related to these. Am hoping this is descriptive enough to get some guidance ahead of time.

Where possible I'd like to tackle myself. I can handle general maintenance, etc. and consider myself fairly technical and proficient with a variety of general construction and plumbing related items. So, with that out of the way, here's my questions:

1. Backwash Entry - P-Trap required by the city.

Where is this located? I'm familiar with a p-trap from the plumbing side, but is this something over with the filter, pumps, etc.? What is it going to cost to address, and can anyone provide steps to do the installation, etc.?

Is there a special type of p-trap needed for the pool side of things? Running down to the local big box, I see PVC P-traps for $3-5, and more expensive metal ones for $15-20.

2. Electric Valve - Return leaks at stem, but valve okay.

Is this a simple o-ring repair, or something more? Again, where can I find this?

3. Gas Branch Line - no sediment trap. I'm familiar with sediment traps, but where would I find this in the system (my pool is heated). This appears to be a gas line related item, but is it something I should even worry about? And if so, where do I find the parts? Seems like it would be in the plumbing section, do I just need to sort out the right pipe connections/angles?

4. No GFCI on pump motor. I'm familiar with GFCI outlets, but is this something I can install, or is something I'm going to need a pool or electrical contractor for? I understand electrical safety, but this still makes me a little skittish.

5. Spa light leak. I've found several step by step guides on pool light replacement. The pool inspector noted there's water in the unit.

Would that imply the entire light fixture is ruined, or can I maybe get away with draining the water and replacing the gasket seal on the light? Or am I in for a new light as well?

The question here is more about troubleshooting. There's a big gap between buying a new fixture, and replacing a gasket and/or light. Can I start small on this, or just move to the fixture replacement if there's water in the unit?

6. Final question (whew...). The spa remote is not responding. It's a Compool CP3600 Spa-side remote.

This appears to be this item:

http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/four-...c6370_a_7c2355

How hard is it to replace this? Anything to be careful of?

Thanks in advance.

Working on a separate battle plan to address the algae currently in the pool :-/

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Home/Pool Owner. Deciphering my pool inspection report and how to fix

I'm going to let someone else help you with your questions, but regarding that green pool, go ahead and order a good test kit NOW so you'll have it when you move in. That kit is worth its weight in gold when it comes to cleaning up a pool and keeping it clear. Test kit page is linked in my signature. You want the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C.

Default Re: New Home/Pool Owner. Deciphering my pool inspection report and how to fix

Quote Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
    -- here's my questions:

1. Backwash Entry - P-Trap required by the city.

Where is this located? I'm familiar with a p-trap from the plumbing side, but is this something over with the filter, pumps, etc.?
    This should be where the waste line from your filter enters you sewer system, to prevent sewer gasses from entering your pool plumbing.

Is there a special type of p-trap needed for the pool side of things? Running down to the local big box, I see PVC P-traps for $3-5, and more expensive metal ones for $15-20.
    A plain jane pvc one would most probably fit the requirements, but check with the city inspector.

2. Electric Valve - Return leaks at stem, but valve okay.

Is this a simple o-ring repair, or something more? Again, where can I find this?
    Depends on the type of valve. Some have a special packing around the stem, others have an O-ring.

3. Gas Branch Line - no sediment trap. I'm familiar with sediment traps, but where would I find this in the system (my pool is heated). This appears to be a gas line related item, but is it something I should even worry about? And if so, where do I find the parts? Seems like it would be in the plumbing section, do I just need to sort out the right pipe connections/angles?
    This is usually a stub set on a Tee, below the valve outside the heater, capped off to collect any sediment that might make it's way into the control valve. It is there to protect the control from any debris/condensation in the gas piping.

4. No GFCI on pump motor. I'm familiar with GFCI outlets, but is this something I can install, or is something I'm going to need a pool or electrical contractor for? I understand electrical safety, but this still makes me a little skittish.
    Best bet is to hire an electrician familiar with pool wiring, and have him do a complete inspection of the pool's electrical system. There may be other problems that have gone unnoticed.

5. Spa light leak. I've found several step by step guides on pool light replacement. The pool inspector noted there's water in the unit.

Would that imply the entire light fixture is ruined, or can I maybe get away with draining the water and replacing the gasket seal on the light? Or am I in for a new light as well?

The question here is more about troubleshooting. There's a big gap between buying a new fixture, and replacing a gasket and/or light. Can I start small on this, or just move to the fixture replacement if there's water in the unit?

6. Final question (whew...). The spa remote is not responding. It's a Compool CP3600 Spa-side remote.

This appears to be this item:

http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/four-...c6370_a_7c2355

How hard is it to replace this? Anything to be careful of?

Thanks in advance.

Working on a separate battle plan to address the algae currently in the pool :-/
    The rest of the questions will have to be answered by others more knowledgeable in those areas, as well as any corrections to what I've answered.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

I thought I'd weigh in on the pump circuit and light. To add GFCI to your pump it's probably easiest (but probably not cheapest) to replace the circuit breaker it's using with a GFCI breaker. I found this one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-QF120-...20+amp+breaker for a fairly low price; make sure you replace the breaker with one that is rated for the same voltage and current rating as your existing breaker.

As for the light, you can try cleaning it out then replacing the bulbs and the gasket that seals the glass to the light housing. When I bought my house two years ago my pool light was in a sorry state, and I fought with it leaking for a long time before I decided to replace the whole thing. It's worth trying to fight because replacement lights are pretty expensive, and bulbs/gaskets are cheap. It may work out for you first try, too. It's worth noting that pool stores (the ones in my area) were smoking something funny when they priced their bulbs. Look online. I order bulbs from 1000bulbs.com but there's 1000 other bulb stores on the net that all have decent prices. I couldn't even find the right bulbs from local home improvement stores. I bought the gasket at a local pool store.

When you clean out the light, make sure you get it good and dry on the inside. It's probably also a good idea to make sure the light circuit has GFCI as well.

As charlie_r mentioned, an electrical inspection is never a bad idea - water+electricity can be very dangerous if things aren't connected and bonded properly.

If you go the light replacement route, I will mention that when I replaced mine I called a random pool guy from the phone-book. His price for the light+install was about the same as the price I would have payed online (and less than local stores) for the same light.
    Last edited by kelemvor; 08-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

+ Reply to Thread