+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chlorine Pool Water seems like salt water?

Default Chlorine Pool Water seems like salt water?

I was at a friends pool the other day...the pool water tastes salty like salt water but it is definitely a chlorine pool...whats up with this? Over chlorination...producing too much chlorine salts? I didnt get a chance to ask if anyone else noticed!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Chlorine Pool Water seems like salt water?

All forms of chlorine will add chloride ions to the water (in other words, salt) when they are used up sanitizing the water. If the water tasted salty and they did not add salt (some people do because it improves the 'feel' of the water and makes it less aggressive and irritating to skin and eyes even if they don't have a SWCG (salt water chlorine generator) then perhaps the water has been in the pool a long time and has only been 'topped off' and not drained or winterized for a long period of time. Also, they might have had a SWCG. After all, salt pools ARE chlorine pools.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

My wife and I have noticed this in some Chlorine pools too....... seems like a salt water pool...... water feels silky smooth.

According to the test strips I currently use (no need to remind me, I will buy a proper test kit and throw those strips away!) my water is in the OK range for everything except chlorine which it states is high. No eye irritation, water is crystal clear (Thanks to this Forum, wish I found you guys years ago...... saved me hundreds of $$ this year so far), yet the pool water doesn't feel silky...... almost like I have grease on my fingers and they rub, rather than glide.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

High salt levels create a slick feel -- I personally don't like it, except in the ocean, where there are OTHER benefits, like waves and interesting critters to swim with or after -- but lots of people do. That's a function of the salt -- some people who do NOT have SWCG's still add salt to achieve that feel.

The salt levels in SWCG pools (3000 - 5000 ppm) will definitely reduce eye irritation compared to very fresh water. Really fresh water (low salt, low TDS) usually feels 'squeaky' on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaRob View Post
    (Thanks to this Forum, wish I found you guys years ago...... saved me hundreds of $$ this year so far)
    Hmh. If you're looking something to do with all that money, I have a suggestion! Subscribe!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Hmh. If you're looking something to do with all that money, I have a suggestion! Subscribe!
    And then order a K-2006 - you'll be glad you did.

+ Reply to Thread