+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alum, borax, etc.

Default Alum, borax, etc.

Several years ago I discovered the joy of flocculent and vacuum to discharge. Yes, outdoor pool.

The local pool store charges $20 for a four pound tub, $5 a pound for a very, very common chemical used by the ton in water treatment plants.

The chemical is aluminum sulfate, aka alum.

You can buy this for +/- $1 a pound from taxidermy suppliers! I bought my first at a supply house in Broomfield, Colorado when I was on a road trip out west. Free shipping! My latest acquisition is from Jim Allred Taxidermy supply:

http://www.jimallred.com/SearchResul...?KeyWords=alum

I bought 25 pounds that even with shipping cost me only about $43, $1.72/lb.

Not exactly pool supplies at your grocery store, but not a bad money saver.

Alum also ties up phosphorous, an essential nutrient for algae. So, in theory, use of alum may also reduce algae.

Default Re: Adding Borax to Make your Pool Resistant to Algae

Or, method three, super easy. Given good water, no issues with metals and such.

Sprinkle a box or two of borax over the water with the pump off and let sit overnight. You will notice a few lumnps, no doubt, and that they are (mostly) gone the next morning. Run the pump, optionally, brush the pool to stir any borax in solution concentration. Add acid if necessary. Rinse, lather, repeat.

As to quantity, I don't mean to disrespect our swimming pool elder, but your advice doesn't seem right. This source suggests what amounts to one 4.75 pound box per 2400 gallons. http://www.thepoolpros.com/borax.html As to calculated, I must be doing something wrong today, I keep coming up with 236 ppm at that rate. Maybe I need to align my calculator...........

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Low cost flocculent....at taxidermy supply houses!

Paul,

You need to stop posting like this, or else post in THIS section. The ideas you've posted so far are far, far more likely to get users here in trouble, than to help them.

Alum can be used successfully, but it's very tricky and can back fire in big ways. Most people -- especially guys -- tend to operate on a "If some is good, more is better" philosophy, and putting 25lbs of alum in their hands pretty much guarantees some cloudy pool disasters.

Have you ever seen a 1' (NOT: 1"!) thick layer of alum floc? I have!

I'm actively looking for an online source of PAA (polyaluminum chloride), which is far less fussy, is more effective, and is better at removing phosphates, but I haven't found one yet. And, there's no sense recommending solutions which people can't use!

If you want to actively participate in experimenting with flocs, we'd welcome the help. But right now, we see more bad results from flocs, than good ones.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Alum, borax, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by paulvzo View Post
    As to quantity, I don't mean to disrespect our swimming pool elder, but your advice doesn't seem right. This source suggests what amounts to one 4.75 pound box per 2400 gallons. http://www.thepoolpros.com/borax.html As to calculated, I must be doing something wrong today, I keep coming up with 236 ppm at that rate. Maybe I need to align my calculator...........
    Borax is effectively 11% borates; on a 10,000 gallon pool, you need 45 lbs of borax or about 545 ppm borax to achieve 60 ppm borates.

Paul, I don't mind correction (well, sometimes I do, but I put up with it) when IT IS CORRECT! But, I get pretty impatient with folks who come here and start sharing their wisdom -- ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY START POSTING MULTIPLE TIMES IN DAY -- without first checking to see if their wisdom is (a) correct, (b) relevant, & (c) helpful.

You've been warned: ask HERE, before you post, elsewhere!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by paulvzo View Post

The page you reference will only bring the borate to 35 ppm if you follow their directions. FWIW, I am the grandfather of using borate in the water here, at TFP and at PoolSpaForum so you might want to chill a bit. Our info is correct. Yours has not proven to be so based on the corrections that both Ben and I have made to your previous posts.

Sprinling a box or two of borax in the water and letting it sit overnight is not going to do much in the average swimming pool (of 10k to 20k gallons) except perhaps raise the pH a bit. Not quite sure you are posting that bit of info. It's really worthless. 25 ppm is the minimum active borate concentration for algaestatic effect and 30 to 50 ppm for pH buffering effect.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I just don't get the love in with flocculent or clarifiers. Are there some water conditions where they are required or helpful? Maybe I'm lucky and have good water, but any time the water is cloudy it's a sign that I need to shock the water, which clears it up. If I have to clean up an algae bloom, I kill it with the usual BBB method, and when the algae nuking it done, let the dead algae settle to the bottom and vaccum to waste. It seems like 90% of the time flocculent or clarifier is mentioned is when a mess hasn't been completely cleared up, such as green algae water going to cloudy, and pool owners think flocculent or clarifier is a short cut.

Never used the stuff, and have never needed it.

With adequate filtration and circulation, clarifiers and flocculants usually aren't a big help. But, over 2/3 of pools do NOT have adequate filtration and circulation.

Also, flocs can help speed clean up of pools with dead algae, and some (PAA) can remove phosphates and metals.

The problem is that some, like alum, are very 'twitchy'. Potable water plants run continuous 'jar testing' to allow them tailor their alum + other floc blends to the conditions of the entering water. But, pool owners can't do that.

PAA is not nearly so twitchy, but I haven't ID'd a reliable source, packaging a known concentration.

Spensar, I need alum for the reason Ben mentions: Lots of dead algae. For seven months of the year I don't use the pool and I cannot afford to keep it chlorinated on my limited income. Plus, I get LOTS of plant and even some animal biomatter in the water, just the location. There's no way to filter this mass of slime and leaves, etc. So, alum to the rescue.

I use four or five cups broadcast over the pool and in about two days it's ready to scoop out the big stuff and then vacuum to discharge for the dead algae and dirt.

Nothing wrong with that; you're lucky it works that well for you, but many times luck is better than expertise.

What's wrong is broadcasting advice that EVERY body do likewise, unless you can also provide them with a working lucky charm that guarantees they get the results you do.

I've never personally tried to floc live goo -- it's worth an experiment. But at present I have no confidence that even 1/3 of the people who followed such advice would get similar results.

Also, less than 1/2 the people here have a working vacuum system . . .

Interesting stuff, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread