+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting from scratch - leveling ground

Default Starting from scratch - leveling ground

Hello,

We are going to install an 18' x 52 " above ground pool. We have the location in our yard and I am currently leveling the area. As I have read, this is the most important step.

My problem is that, there are so many choices in pools, I have locked up trying to pick one.

I have watched many videos and feel very capable of doing the install myself, I just need something to install.

Can you make some suggestions in the $1500 to $2000 range.

Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Starting from scratch - leveling ground

This is not really the sort of question we can often answer well -- as you note, there's a LOT of variation.

I can tell you that, bang for the buck, if you get an Intex Ultra in that size, they do very well. You'll need to replace the filter or the cartridges, to get better filtration, however. The good news is that all that stuff is on clearance right now. If you visit the Walmarts, KMarts, Targets, etc. in your area, you can probably find one. If you have to travel to a larger city, call to check stock.

What a lot of people have done is spent less than $1,000 on an Intex, used for 2 - 3 years, found that they really liked pools, and upgraded to a larger pool with a deck. (Of course, we don't hear from the ones who got the Intex, found they did NOT like pools, and moved on. But even so, it's better to spend ~700 making that discovery, than $2,000)

Good luck!
    Last edited by Watermom; 08-08-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: changed "here" to "hear"

Default Re: Starting from scratch - leveling ground

Thanks for the input. I think we have thought about this for so many years that we are going with the hard sided pool. I have read on the Pool Solutions site about their recommendations for a pump and filter and I tend to agree with the smaller pump and bigger filter theory. Why pump more than the system can handle efficiently. That leaves "only" choosing a pool and liner. More research in my future.

+ Reply to Thread