+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck with Caribbean Clear

Default Stuck with Caribbean Clear

We have an inground plaster pool, 40,000 gallons (painted surface) that has a Caribbean Clear system. I am trying to convince my husband that we need to use chlorine regularly - he insists that we are supposed to "shock" the pool with Oxone and only need to put one gallon of bleach a week in the pool.

Currently the water is tinged green and a bit cloudy. I keep fighting rising pH - we need to add muriatic acid nearly every 3 days. Every time we add chlorine, the green water gets closer to the blue it should be, but it doesn't last...

The numbers:
    pH 8.0+
    TA 100
    CH 280
    Chlorine (all tests) 0
    CYA 0
    Copper 0.2

Added 3/4 gal of muriatic acid and 2.5 gal of 12% chlorine this afternoon just before the storms.

Thank you for the forum and for your advice

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Stuck with Caribbean Clear

With copper, you'd better get your pH down, sooner rather than later. Also adding a lot of chlorine can cause the copper to come out and stain things. The only thing I know that you can safely use to help is polyquat algaecide plus low levels of copper.

Of course, your pool still won't be sanitized. (I guess you know we don't recommend coppper-based 'sanitation' systems?)

Default Re: Stuck with Caribbean Clear

I am not a fan of the copper system, my husband bought the "snake oil" years ago - I can't convince him to forget it, however we are beginning to use chlorine to measurable levels Thanks for the advice on the polyquat, will give it a try!

I am hoping in the fall or spring to re-plumb our pump system to get rid of a few leaks, and maybe that copper boondoggle in the process...

+ Reply to Thread