+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intex Super Simple Startup and Maint plan questions

Default Intex Super Simple Startup and Maint plan questions

Thanks so much for this site. I have tripled my very limited knowledge of pools and pool care in the several hours I've been reading. I have a 24x52 Intex Round 12481 Gal Sand Filter Pump CS20110 Saltwater System.

In the 7 day plan you do not mention adding Cyanuric Acid if using bleach and not dichlor. Is this because your recipe calls for enough bleach to keep the FC level up despite the UV rays breaking it down?

If dichlor were used instead of bleach would it still be 2 cups per dose with the same dosage schedule?

Also should I be running the pump with the salt water system on or should I wait until pool is stabilized to even turn on the SWCG?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions at one. Again thanks for donating your time to answer people's questions.

Vinny

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Intex Super Simple Startup and Maint plan questions

If you are using bleach, you do need to add CYA seperately, especially if you have a SWCG that you will use later. The dichlor adds the CYA for you...the bleach will not. You need to check the manual for your SWCG unit and see what CYA level they specify--different units often specify different CYA levels, and the CYA level recommended by the manufacturer is designed to help your unit run at its most efficient and make the cell last as long as possible.

Keep your SWCG off until you get the water balanced the way you want, and get the CYA levels up where they need to be. Once the water is balanced, THEN turn on the SWCG and use it for maintaining the pool. Those units are not capable of producing large amounts of chlorine quickly, even in "boost" modes, so you're just burning up cell life if you use that while trying to get the pool balanced to begin with, or while trying to clear up an algae bloom.
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The 'Super Simple' plan is based on dichlor -- I haven't tried to make a bleach only plan because plain stabilizer is (a) hard to dissolve and (b) becoming hard to find.

Dichlor goes VERY well with an SWCG, if you use dichlor till your CYA reaches 50 ppm, BEFORE you turn your SWCG on. If you CONTINUE to use dichlor to 'shock' (boost your chlorine to higher levels) it will (a) preserve your SWCG; (b) maintain and supplement your CYA level (needed by the SWCG) and (c) push the pH down, compensating for the upward pH tendency of SWCG's.

Wow thanks for the great info! That is very great to knows that dichlor has all those benefits. I will definitely supplement the SWCG with dichlor. Thanks for the quick responses.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The Simple Care plan* is stand-alone, and is designed for folks new to pools who aren't ready to tackle all the chemistry issues, and who may not yet have the K2006 test kit.

Using an SWCG is not really compatible. To operate an SWCG system correctly requires establishing certain chemical levels, particularly salt and stabilizer IN ADVANCE, and maintaining them.

If you are currently following the Simple plan, I'd recommend getting the test kit (and salt strips) and the learning to establish and maintain correct salt, stabilizer, pH, and calcium levels before turning on your SWCG. Following the simple plan will result in gradually increasing stabilizer levels (CYA) but you'll probably need to add stabilizer directly to get there more quickly.

*Super-simple-pool-chemistry-recipe-for-Intex-type-pools-start-up-amp-routine-care.

Quote Originally Posted by piscinepatel View Post
    When my ph level is high or low, how many hours do I need to run the pump once I add stabilizer?
    I don't understand this question. Your pH level has nothing to do with adding stabilizer or pump run time. Stabilizer dissolves slowly; if you add it using the sock method (stabilizer in an old tube sock tied to the pool frame), running the pump doesn't affect things. If you add stabilizer to a skimmer, then it tends to only dissolve when the pump is running.

It sounds like you may not be running the pump consistently. You need to run the pump for AT LEAST 6 hours every day, and yes, it should be running for several hours after adding chemicals.

I think the Intex literature suggests not running it, for electrical reasons, when the pool is in use. That's a 'Cover Their A##' lawyer statement, since Intex can't be sure you've connected the pump properly. It should be connected to a tested and working GFCI receptable. If it's not, it's not safe to swim -- or stick your hands in the pool -- when the pump is running.

If you do not have an working GFCI receptacle to use, you need this:
    Leviton GFA15-25C 15-Amp, 120-Volt, 2 Ft Cord Set, Auto Reset GFCI Device

I looked through the Amazon offerings pretty carefully. I would STRONGLY recommend against purchasing one of the cheaper no-brand models. Leviton is a long-time US manufacturer of (mostly) high quality electrical devices. Even if this cord is made in China, they will probably have done the appropriate quality control inspections. A crummy GFCI device is DANGEROUS. Even then, there's another Leviton model on Amazon with poor ratings that I would avoid.

Regardless -- you need to test the GFCI at least weekly. Ideally, you can test it every time you plug the pool pump in. Untested GFCI units -- regardless of maker -- are NOT safe; they can fail "ON", instead of "OFF", and I've seen people get injured as a result!

+ Reply to Thread