+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cya testing

Question Cya testing

Hi, Quick question.

I added one lb of 99% (Leslie's) CYA on Monday and then another lb on Tuesday. I just performed the CYA test and couldn't really get a reading. At 30ppm I could see the dot as gray, but it was still there. In the how too video it looks like it is completely gone.

Which way is correct? Also, is it possible that I didn't wait long enough to do the test? I want my CYA in the 50ppm range and seeing how 1lb is suppose to add approx 30ppm I figured 2lbs would be perfect.

Where can I buy locally more Reagent's? After keeping my pool at shock level for so many days I am running low on R-0871.

Thanks
    15' x 48" round 4.4K gal Intex AG pool; Unicel Type C-5315 cartridge filter; Intex 633T pump; (24/7) Taylor 2006 kit; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:27

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cya testing

It takes a while for CYA to totally dissolve. That is why we typically suggest not testing for it for at least 4 or 5 days after adding it. As far as how to read the results, you read it when you can no longer see the black dot.

I'm not sure where you can buy R-0871 locally. You may have to order it online. Maybe someone else will know.

I have only seen the Taylor reagents online. But then, I live in podunk, MO...... Best bet is to order through Amazon
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Try Leslie's for the replacement reagent. If they won't sell you just a bottle of R-0871 they may have in stock a CYA test kit. It's called Blue Devil and comes with a large bottle of reagent and a test tube. For online ordering, try amatoind.com. I bought a pint from them a couple years ago. Stored in a cool place it has a pretty long shelf life.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

If you can't find them locally or on Amazon, reagents can also be ordered directly from Taylor.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Question Re: Cya testing

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    It takes a while for CYA to totally dissolve. That is why we typically suggest not testing for it for at least 4 or 5 days after adding it.
    CYA was totally dissolved from the sock both times I added it w/in 24 hours. So I pulled the sock. So are you saying it takes time to actually dissolve in the water and show up? I just changed my filter yesterday as it said to wait 72 hours after adding CYA. I got the Unicel replacements yesterday so was eager to get it changed.

I should have worded my ? better. What I meant was- is the reagent only available online or have others seen it in stores. Sorry. Of course I can do my own leg work and didn't mean to imply I wanted/needed someone to find it for me! lol
    15' x 48" round 4.4K gal Intex AG pool; Unicel Type C-5315 cartridge filter; Intex 633T pump; (24/7) Taylor 2006 kit; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:27

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

As far as I know, the reagents aren't carried in stores. I get mine from sps-poolspas DOT com.....but are also available through Taylortechnologies and Amazon, as mentioned above....

As I said earlier, many Leslie's stores do carry them and a full CYA test kit. Call your local store for availability.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Thanks! Been a hectic last few days and the pool shows it. I started getting algae back so I went into shock mode once again. My biggest problem is that I've added 2lbs of CYA and I still don't get a reading. (Last lb. was 7 days ago) I'm going to add one more lb. and hope to at least get a 30 reading in 7 more days. It's strange! I think I will leave the sock hanging a cpl days after all the CYA has dissolved from it. IDK what else to do, it makes no sense to me why I still have such a reading. Unless of course Leslie's CYA isn't actually 99% as it states.

Also as far as the reagents go, my local Leslie's carries them so I will be picking them up today on the way home from a Dr. appt.

Thanks to all who have helped me along the way, I'm trying not to get to frustrated but my thoughts keep wandering towards "it will be time to take the pool down before I get good levels of CYA and Chlorine holding". I am thankful it is USABLE thou, so that's a huge plus!
    Last edited by RedwingT; 08-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Question Re: Cya testing

Shoot, I forgot to ask: Should I pull the CYA sock when my son swims?

+ Reply to Thread