+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer Sock or Panty Hose in Pump Basket?

Shifty is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Shifty 0

Question Skimmer Sock or Panty Hose in Pump Basket?

My DE filter grids need to be replaced; however, I have decided to wait until next season to replace them. I don't want to install new grids then have them damaged over the winter. The current grids do not filter very well. DE does not stay coated on the grids. I find myself vacuuming up DE that is blown out the returns along with other small debris that is not trapped by the faulty grids.

I started using a skimmer sock to trap as much debris as I can before it reaches the filter. When I vacuum it is very frustrating that about 50% of what I vacuum comes out the returns. As a short term experiment, I was thinking of trying a skimmer sock or panty hose on the pump basket to trap debris that is vacuumed.

Has anyone tried this? Is this a bad idea?
    American Titan SS DE Filter; Multiport; 18'x36' grecian 24K gal IG krystalkrete (super blue) plaster; BBB and trichlor pucks for CYA; Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar; Taylor K-2006; The Pool Cleaner Auto Vac (4 wheels)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Skimmer Sock or Panty Hose in Pump Basket?

I sometimes vacuum with a skimmer sock in the SKIMMER basket and, as WM says, you have to watch your pressure. I can get about 1/2 of the pool done before I have to change the sock. I have not put one over the PUMP pot/basket because I'm too afraid of it getting sucked into the impeller (via Murphy's Law).
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

do not use a swimmer sock in the pump basket. The chances are excellent that it WILL get sucked into the pump and could cause the impeller to seize and damage your pump motor.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

@ Waterbear: Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I was afraid of happening.

Do you have any other suggestions how I can trap vacuumed debris before it gets to the filter?

@ Anna:I can't follow your approach with the skimmer sock since I need to remove the skimmer basket to insert the hose.

Any ideas are appreciated since vacuuming multiple times per week has gotten old very quickly.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-01-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: formatting
    American Titan SS DE Filter; Multiport; 18'x36' grecian 24K gal IG krystalkrete (super blue) plaster; BBB and trichlor pucks for CYA; Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar; Taylor K-2006; The Pool Cleaner Auto Vac (4 wheels)

Okay, was worth a try. I have an adapter that goes over the skimmer basket and that the vacuum hose connects to. That way, large debris stays in the skimmer basket rather than going straight to the filter. This may not be available for inground pools.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

what kind of skimmer do you have? Vacuum plates
    are available for just about all the Hayward, Pentair, StaRite, Waterway, HydroSkim and some other skimmers. Using a vacuum plate will allow you to put a sock over the skimmer basket and then the plate sits on top of the basket and you attach the hose to it.

The only other possiblity is to use one of the inline 'leaf catchers' used for suction side cleaners and put a sock in that basket (but be aware that they are not cheap!)

The one I have looks like the first image. Sometimes it's a little tricky to get it situated just right for proper suction but we wired an extra pump switch on the deck near the skimmer and now it's just a matter of turning the pump on and off until the plate is properly in place.

The first picture is what I would get.

The diameter of the vac adapter seems to be universal so hopefully it fits snug enough over the top of the skimmer basket. It rained heavily in SE PA this evening so the water is more than halfway up the skimmer.

actually, vac plates are not universal, nor are skimmer diameters. You need to get the proper one for your make and model of skimmer. For example Hayward has about 7 different modes and Pentair has at least that many also, if not more.
    For example:
    http://www.nextag.com/skimmer-vacuum-plate/shop-html
    http://www.epoolshop.com/skimmervacuumplates.aspx
    http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-skimmer-vacuum-plate (this website has 5 pages of vac plates!)

+ Reply to Thread