+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 oz. Refills - will they fit into my kit?

Default 2 oz. Refills - will they fit into my kit?

My Taylor K-2006 came with 0.75 ounce bottles of reagents. If I purchase the 2 oz. refills, will I still be able to fit them into the blue kit and close the lid? Does anybody have experience with that?
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder; Hayward DE 4820 DE filter; Pentair Superflo VS pump; 12-14 hourshrs; Taylor K-2006; delivered via truck; summer: solar; winter: mesh; ; PF:4.8

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: 2 oz. Refills - will they fit into my kit?

In a word, no. I use a toolbox to hold my testing supplies since I have several kits and supolies that I use in addition to the K-2006 (salt, borate, magnetic stirrer. light box, etc. ) I use foam in the bottom that I cut out to hold 2 oz bottles and other components in place and hae small parts (DPD powder scoops, stir bars, comparators, K-1000 OTO test kit) in the upper trays. It works very well.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I buy the 2oz. bottles and refill the 0.75oz. bottles from them. I keep the 2oz. bottles in a dark, cool place.

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I buy the 2oz. bottles and refill the 0.75oz. bottles from them. I keep the 2oz. bottles in a dark, cool place.
    So if I buy a 2 oz bottle and and keep it in a cool dark place..will it last till next year? Just ran out of 0871 for chlorine testing............(Plan on closing up pool by the beginning of October)
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

For most of the reagents it is fine. There are a few that have a short shelf life and the R-0871 is one of them and it is not a bad idea to replace this one yearly. It can be oxidized by exposure to air, particularly in a partially filled bottle. If it has a pink or orange cast it needs to be tossed out and replaced. DPD powder also has a shorter shelf life and is very sensitive to heat and humidity but as long as it has not turned completely black and can still form a pink color it is usable.

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    For most of the reagents it is fine. There are a few that have a short shelf life and the R-0871 is one of them and it is not a bad idea to replace this one yearly. It can be oxidized by exposure to air, particularly in a partially filled bottle. If it has a pink or orange cast it needs to be tossed out and replaced. DPD powder also has a shorter shelf life and is very sensitive to heat and humidity but as long as it has not turned completely black and can still form a pink color it is usable.
    So is it worth it to buy a new bottle NOW of the R0871? I'm thinking NO????
    Thanks.
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

If you need it buy it. It should be ok to at least get you through a good part of the swim season. just keep it in the house and tightly sealed. I have a vacuum sealing machine and I seal up my extra DPD powder and titrant in vacuum sealed bags for storage. I just opened a 4 year old DPD power that was vacuum sealed and the color is still light grey and it is not clumped. As I said about the titirant, if it is peach or pink color throw it out. I like to replace it yearly because if it has started to go bad it will read lower than the actual chlorine level (in other words, you will need more drops) However, it's not that big a deal if the chlorine is a bit higher than you think. It would be more of a problem if the chlorine was lower than you think.

I've not had any problems with reagents, including R-0871, I purchased in one season and carried over to the next. I keep them inside away from light and heat and I never keep them more than 2 seasons.

I think you would be fine getting the R-0871 now and using it next season. You could get it directly from Taylor if you want to make sure it's from a fresh batch.

Concerning your original question, I have a few kits that I used (purchased separately) and have thought of getting a small tackle box to keep everything in. I would think it would work great for that.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread