+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    I still haven't told the story of the 300,000 gallon pool I turned purple, while 200 people were swimming in it!)
    Ok, Ben. I've heard mention of this story several times through the years. I think it is finally time that you spill! Whatdya think, people? We wanna hear this story, right???

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

Maybe after the 4th . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    If I was in the market for a pump/filter on the pool you described , I'd probably go with a 3/4 hp 2 SPEED pump and a 250lb sand filter. I've also read that 2" plumbing instead of 1-1/2" will probably pay for its self in energy savings, for pumps 3/4 hp and larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    One key point that applies regardless of filter type: get a BIG filter and a LITTLE pump, and your pool life will be much easier.
    So this is frustrating.. Here is why.. For example on this site: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/pool-s...ilter_type=324 where I may buy the pool.. All the filter / pump combos are not as you guys suggest. If it's only a 1HP pump (which they don't even offer lower than that) then the filter is only like 100 - 150lbs sand filter.. You guys recommend a small pump (3/4) and a big filter (250lb) but it's just not offered..

Anyone have any links to where I can get what you suggest?

Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yeah. Hayward has some combos that aren't terrible, but none really meet our recommendations.

Give me the dimensions of the pool you've picked, and tell me which filter type you prefer (sand / de / cartridge) and I'll try to cobble together some links.

24' round x 54" high. I think I'm leaning towards sand but that's not set in stone..

Thanks much.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

(Go with sand! You won't regret it. It is so easy!)

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

+1 for what Watermom said.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

OK. I'll look at that tomorrow.

Did a chat with someone on a pool site..

ME: Regarding pumps / filters.. I read that the typical pool places will try and "throw in" a free pump upgrade to say 2hp or what not.. I read that a 24' pool shouldn't have more than a 1 hp pump and that a bigger pump is actually counter productive as it pushes water through the filter too fast.
    THEM: Depends on the filter media
    ME: Sand i'm going with.
    THEM: Sand works better with a fast flow, cartridge and de does not
    So is he full of bologna?

He's full of something, but I doubt that it's bologna. Well, I suppose you could call it 'used bologna'.

Excess flow pushes dirt THROUGH sand filters, and washes the sand out of the filter during backwash. Excess flow, and the accompanying high pressure, can break the frames inside DE filters, and damages the cartridge itself in cartridge filters.

Yeah, he's definitely full of it, but 'it' is not anything nearly so nice as bologna.

+ Reply to Thread