+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

Default Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

We would like to get a pool mainly for family fun with our kids (6, 2, 10 months).. We go to a friends often but want to get one of our own..

Today we went to The Great Escape pool store.. They were supposedly having some major specials going but that's what I'm posting to find out..

I know nothing about pools.. Here is what they package was:

24' 54" Quest Pool - http://www.shopthegreatescape.com/pr...97_54%22-quest
    ABS Pearl Wide Mouth Skimmer
    Taupe Slid-Lock A Frame Ladder
    Hayward 110 Filter (not the sand kind)
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Cover
    Zodiac Konticki 2 Cleaner
    Vac Equipment
    Chemical Kit
    Free delivery and install (dig up to 6")

Out the door price was $3,841..

No winter cover included and not sure if I should be looking for other options either..

The pool looked nice and supposedly the filter and stuff was the upgraded package.. I just don't know if that's good and it's hard to do local price comparisons because they all have pools with their own names etc..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

I haven't priced all this stuff to have no idea if it is a good deal or not but just a couple of comments.

That pump is WAY too big for this pool. In the case of pool pumps, bigger is NOT better. I am not the pump guru around here but I think a 3/4hp would be plenty of pump for this pool. (I've asked Ben to pop into this thread and offer pump/filter recommendations for you.)

What kind of filter is it? DE? Cartridge?

Also, don't buy the chemical kit. You're better off buying your own things to treat the pool with because that way you know exactly what all you are putting in your water and you can do it a whole lot more inexpensively. Lots of the pool chemicals being sold these days are what we call "voodoo mixes" with some stuff in them that you do NOT want in your pool.

You might also ask them if their installation includes some type of foam barrier under the liner and also any coves to form a smooth slope where the wall meets the floor so it isn't a sharp angle there.

Do some reading here on the forum and also on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. (Until your registration is completed, you will have to log out to be able to see the rest of the forum, however.)

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Default Re: Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    That pump is WAY too big for this pool. In the case of pool pumps, bigger is NOT better. I am not the pump guru around here but I think a 3/4hp would be plenty of pump for this pool. (I've asked Ben to pop into this thread and offer pump/filter recommendations for you.)
    So they are selling a pump that is not good for the pool? I know it was a package "upgrade" deal that they have going on so I'm not paying extra for it but if it's not good for the pool and they are selling it to me I'd be pretty pissed.

What kind of filter is it? DE? Cartridge?
    I believe a cartridge because he opened it up and it looked like this:

Also, don't buy the chemical kit. You're better off buying your own things to treat the pool with because that way you know exactly what all you are putting in your water and you can do it a whole lot more inexpensively. Lots of the pool chemicals being sold these days are what we call "voodoo mixes" with some stuff in them that you do NOT want in your pool.
    It comes with the package.. I don't think they would make it any cheaper if I didn't get it.

You might also ask them if their installation includes some type of foam barrier under the liner and also any coves to form a smooth slope where the wall meets the floor so it isn't a sharp angle there.
    I will ask them this.. Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

It is common for AG pool packages to come with mismatched pump/filter combos. I have asked Ben to offer a recommendation for you in regards to your equipment.

That is a cartridge filter.

Regarding the chemical kit -- even if you do get it, I would advise not using it until you tell us exact ingredients and letting someone here help you decide if it is ok to use or not. Many pool store chemicals are what we call voodoo mixes and often have ingredients in them that you do not want in your pool.

Just to give you some comparison, not the same type of pool of course. Just bought a pool a week ago:

15x30' 54" Resin
    Salt Water System
    Skimer
    A Frame Ladder
    Sand Filter
    Hayward 1.5HP Pump
    Solar Cover
    Winter Cover
    No install
    Vac Equipment
    Chemical Kit
    Liner
    21 PC Styrofoam Cove
    300 Gift Cert

Out the door price was $4495 ($3,555 without Salt System) + Cdn Taxes

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Unfortunately, prices in Canada (or Texas, for that matter) are not likely to be good guide to reasonable prices in Ohio, where the OP lives.

Back with talks of getting a pool this year.. Did "Ben" ever get a chance to read this thread?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Unfortunately, prices in Canada (or Texas, for that matter) are not likely to be good guide to reasonable prices in Ohio, where the OP lives.
    exchange rate is pretty close these days...about 3 cents difference.
    15,000 Gallon AG -24' round -- Vinyl Liner -- 1 HP Hayward Power Flow LX -- Sand Filter -- PF=5.5

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The issue is not just exchange rates; prices -- especially for services and construction -- vary widely across the US, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
    Back with talks of getting a pool this year.. Did "Ben" ever get a chance to read this thread?

Thanks!
    LOL Almost a year to the day and I'm back looking at getting a pool again this year!

Any more advice would be appreciated..

+ Reply to Thread