+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pump Questions before I Buy

Default New Pump Questions before I Buy

Hello all,

My current pump is a Hayward SuperPump 3/4 hp, SF 1. It is about 7 years old and is giving the bearing screech of death. It had a leak earlier in the season, and I am assuming water got where it shouldn't have and poof...rust, because there is a good bit of corrosion and internal rust

Earlier in the season while I was battling the green cloud (algae), it was suggesting to throttle down the flow to my filter...I ended up not doing that, so my question is, would a 1/2 hp pump be better than a 3/4 hp for a 15,000K pool with a Tagelus 50 (a little over 200lbs sand)? I have 2, 1.5 inch intakes and have no idea how much piping is underground (feet wise). Pool is only 5 ft deep and equipment sits level with pool. I have looked at dual speed pumps, but 2 issues are holding me back, cost and wiring to the AquaLogic controller, as I plan to install myself.

I appreciate any input.

Stella
    15K gal in ground pool; 3/4HP Super Pump; Tagelus 50 sand filter; Aqualogic & T-15 SWCG; Letro Legend

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New Pump Questions before I Buy

A 3/4 horse pump with a 200# sand filter shouldn't generally be a problem. Usually that size pump won't flow as much water as the filter can handle, so it's OK. But a 1/2 hp (full-rated) would work well, too, I'd presume.

7 years is an awfully short life for a Hayward SuperPump. Mine's still going strong at 10 years. Unless it was faulty I'm wondering if you damaged it somehow and if it's fixable.
    Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: New Pump Questions before I Buy

Depending on the pump line, you could end up with a larger pump even though it has a smaller label HP. For example, the 1/2 HP full rate Whisperflo is actually a larger pump than the 3/4 HP up rated Superpump. In fact, it is bigger than the 1 HP up rated Superpump as well. When choosing a pump, it is important to look beyond the label HP and see how the head curve compares with your current pump's head curve.

I would agree with Carl that a motor swap might be both cheaper and easier.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread