+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement liner advice on above ground pool also where to buy

Default Replacement liner advice on above ground pool also where to buy

I currently have a 27' foot round pool with 52" walls and an overlap liner. I am considering buying a bead receiver to convert my pool so I can install a replacement beaded liner myself which appears would be easier to install than a overlap liner to install. A few things I am not clear on. My old liner was a 20ml. What I am seeing online are 20 gauge or 25 gauge. I am thinking about 25 gauge because of the longer warranty. Is that the wise choice? Because of the expense if the new liner and water to be hauled in I want to buy a good quality liner but am not clear on what companies, online, are reputable. Can anyone give me some advice on liner thickness, tricks for installing a beaded liner and a good reputable company to buy a beaded liner from? I am currently looking on Poolsupplies.com and pooldeals.com. Has anyone ever bought a liner off either of these companies? Thank you in advance for your advice and help.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Replacement liner advice on above ground pool also where to buy

I am going to ask our resident liner expert --- Waste aka Ted---- to look at your thread to see if he can advise you.

Maybe Waste can also explain the difference between mil and gauge. They are not the same thing but I can't remember the difference between them.

I recently replaced my pool and went with a 28 mil liner made by GLI. (The pattern name is Malibu.) Even though I have an AG pool, I ordered an inground liner because I didn't like any of the patterns for the AG that my pool store showed me. It cost me more, but I didn't care. I'd rather pay a little more and get something I like instead of getting something I knew I wouldn't be happy with.

I'm not sure how plastic gauge corresponds to sheet metal gauge, but one mil is equal to .001 inches.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm pretty sure that 25mil and 25 gauge are the same thing. Generally, all things being equal, with liners, thicker is better, more resistant to abrasion and more room to stretch.
    Carl
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Carl, I'm not 100% positive but pretty sure from researching in the past that mil and gauge are not the same thing.

EDIT: Ok. I just randomly googled ---- "pool liners mil vs. gauge" and here is one page that came up. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the info but at any rate, here it is.

http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h..._vs_gauge.aspx

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Hey all.

While gauge is thinner than mil, in the end, it's not a huge deal. (THANKS for the link Lisa - it shows the difference well )

It's a common misconception that 'bigger is better' - we all know that's not true for pumps v.s. filters and it's the same for liner thickness. Will a thicker liner last longer? In theory - yes, but the thickness of the liner is NOT what makes a liner last longer! Proper care of the water chemistry and keeping sharp objects from entering and thereby damaging the liner are far more important!

As a general rule: I'd get at least 18 gauge or mil for any pool.

Also, the thicker the liner, the more chance you'll have difficulty working out any wrinkles that occur when dropping the liner.

In short- a heavier gauge or mil looks good on paper but, has a minor effect on the durability of the liner.

Just my $.02
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

No sharp objects??????? Dang! I KNEW there was a reason not to swim with my Leatherman, even the one in the nylon sheath!

I suspect, Ted, that quality of installation is equally important, in the sand base, and how smoothly it's done. I have horrible footprints in mine from the incompetents who did it. Somehow, it's held for 10 seasons. but I did have to do a couple of patches last week...(where the Boxer glue got all over me...ugh)
    Carl

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Of course you're right, Carl. I just take as smooth & debris free floor as a given and the sharp objects we don't want the liner exposed to should NEVER be behind the liner. Thank you for reminding everyone that proper floor and wall preparation need to be done before the liner even comes out of the box.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread