+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn algae and Frustrated Pool Owner

Default Stubborn algae and Frustrated Pool Owner

Bought a foreclosed home with an inground concrete pool. Pool sat neglected under many trees for two years. I am trying to get the water clear. I have pulled leaf rake after leaf rake of debris from the bottom. I have been dumping bleach and bleach and bleach and then granules (my pool pro added those so I am unsure what they were, but I believe not stabilized). I have been adding tri-chlorimines (5 lbs optimum chlorine granules per night) the past few days because the CYA test my pool guy did indicated about none. Been running the pump 24 hrs for a week.

FC refuses to rise above 3ppm and even then it won't stay. Water became milky seafoam green once i switched to stabilized granules. But it hasnt progressed further. I can see about 6 to 8 inches down and can almost make out the outline of the bottom of the spa in the shallow end.

I don't know if I need to dump more bleach, if I need more CYA and if so how to add it, or if I need to pull more debris from pool (which is hard cause I can't see the bottom). Been using a leaf rake because the vac to waste seems ineffective. Maybe I just need POPP?

Advice and encouragement welcome.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Stubborn algae and Frustrated Pool Owner

You are wasting your time adding chemicals until you've removed the leaf and algae piles!

1. Adjust the pH to between 7 & 8 to stop any ongoing damage the pool.
    2. Remove ALL of the piles and leaves.
    3. Complete the Pool Chart (link below)
    4. Test the water properly (kit links below)
    5. Do NOT try to mess with chemistry EXCEPT pH till the goop is gone.

Good luck!

Ben

------------------------------------------------------------

+ It's much easier to answer your questions, when we have the details about your pool in one place. We often 'waste' the first few posts back and forth collecting information. So, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that.
    Pool Chart Entry Form

+ Here are links to the kits we recommend (you can check local availability on the HTH kit, using the Walmart link):
    HTH 6-Way Test Kit @ Walmart
    Taylor K2006A (3/4 oz bottles) @ Amazon
    Taylor K2006C (2 oz bottles) @ Amazon

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

And, you are right about the needed P.O.P.P.! (For anyone reading who doesn't know what that means --- Pool Owner Patience and Persistence!

Thanks; I have continued to pull debris and vac to waste. I believe I have reached the point of diminishing returns as I can't find "rich" deposits of this stuff anymore. Vac to waste yields little in the skimmer basket. I have ordered the test kit and will provide details of pump and filter ASAP. Back soon.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-02-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: turn signature on
    20x40 30K gal concrete rectangle IG pool; bleach; Tagelus sand filter; pump?; attached spa; K2006; net-dev

10'x40' rectangle 30Kgal IG pool; Hand fed granular ; Don't know sand filter; 1.5 hp switch less pump; 24 currentlyhrs; Test strip for FC, Ph, and alkalinity. My pool pro tested for CYA last week.; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:4

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

With a sand filter, using a clarifier can help. Polyquat (info page at PoolSolutions) is BOTH an algaecide and a very effective clarifier, that doesn't have some of the overdosing problems some clarifier only products have. Use it, if you can.

Otherwise, you can buy a clarifier locally; it won't hurt, and it may help. BUT there's a great BIG caution here:
    1. Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or frequency . . . EVER.
    2. Do NOT use a clarifier if you are thinking about using a flocculant. One or the other; not both.

Some standard clarifiers will actually work in reverse, if you overdose!

Thanks; will explore clarifier but I just added flocculant today to see if I could sink some stuff.

I posted my pool details (pump and filter type, etc) to the google docs pool chart. I added an 'n' to my user name by mistake. Hence, you should have a prior entry from thomaso and an entry today from thomason.
    20x40 30K gal concrete rectangle IG pool; bleach; Tagelus sand filter; pump?; attached spa; K2006; net-dev

10'x40' rectangle 30Kgal IG pool; Hand fed granular ; Don't know sand filter; 1.5 hp switch less pump; 24 currentlyhrs; Test strip for FC, Ph, and alkalinity. My pool pro tested for CYA last week.; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:4

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso View Post
    I just added flocculant today to see if I could sink some stuff.
    No clarifier for you, then, for at least a week.

Thank you. What do I do to get bumped to full membership permissions?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Becoming a subscriber will allow you to post without having to go through the moderation queue first. You can find the link in my signature if you are interested in subscribing.

Received my Taylor test kit. The powder for the chlorine test did not arrive with the measuring "dipper". Can anyone tell me approx volume of the two dippers one uses to conduct the FAS DPD test? Looked on the video to be 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon. Thanks.

Ph below 6.8 yesterday; added four pounds borax. Up to about 7 today. Will add more borax today.
    CYA: 50 (no more di or tri chlor)
    FC: between 5 and 10 on the test strip and appears to hold well during day.
    TA: about 40 (only test strip test ).

I want to shock tonight; I estimate I need to bring FC to 20 ppm, which would be approx. 4.1 gallons of bleach (6%)

Does this sound right?

Thank you

+ Reply to Thread