+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie here! Already filled my intex 15x36 pool with water (Oops!)

Default Newbie here! Already filled my intex 15x36 pool with water (Oops!)

I read your bleach/borax treatment suggestion a little too late.

My pool is just about filled with 2800 gallons of well water. What is my next step? I went to my local discount store and purchased Shock, Chlorine tabs and a ph measuring kit? Should I save my receipt?

Any help would be appreciated!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Newbie here! Already filled my intex 15x36 pool with water (Oops!)

1. Go get some algaecide -- polyquat if possible -- and put a SINGLE dose in. NO chlorine! NO swimming!

2. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red test kit. Make sure pH is between 7 & 8. If possible lower it to 7.0 - 7.2

3. Do a metals bucket test, to see you have metals in your water.

4. Follow the recipe, once you've done those things.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you need to lower the pH, use muriatic acid to do so but please read the link in Ben's signature above explaining the steps.

Thanks! I've now done all that. My problem now is that my pool has a green tinge to it. The water looks clear, but it's definitely a little green. I've done 2 doses of the clarifier from the pool store and 1 dose of Iron Out.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. No more clarifier! Overdoses can make it impossible to clear your pool!
    2. No more Iron Out! (What was that for, anyhow? It destroys chlorine, and will have no positive effect on iron that IN your water.)
    3. Did you add the polyquat?
    4. What was the result from the metals bucket test?
    5. What are your current pH and chlorine readings?

I'm such an idiot. My pool is now brown (again)

1. Sorry, I'm a little overzealous
    2. No idea, saw it at the pool store, thought it would work
    3. I added algaecide, not sure if it's polyquat (how can I tell?) I can't seem to find anything that says "polyquat" on the label
    4. I am currently doing the metals bucket test. I just put the bleach into both buckets, and my clear hose water turned as brown as my pool water within a minute!

5. As far as the levels:

FC/bromine: 10/20
    ph : 7.8
    TA 120
    TH 100
    CYA a little more than 30-50

I am determined to get this pool clear, even if it takes me until October!

+ If you haven't, complete the
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    (if you have, tell me. Be sure to include the EXACT filter you have -- cartridge or sand, and the size)

+ filter 24/7 -- brown iron will filter out, though the time depends on your pump and filter. (MAYBE, SEE BELOW)

+ with that much iron, and a 15' pool, it might be best to drain, get the chemicals you need, and THEN refill.

+ Here's the polyquat info page . . .

+ Your bucket tests tells us you have a LOT of iron in your water. We'll need to work out a plan for you, since this will be an ongoing issue.

+ Here's a possibility . . . IF you think you may want to drain and start over:
    => remove your cartridge (if you have a cartridge filter)
    => add another dose of polyquat, and run your pump for 2 hours to let it mix.
    => turn your pump off for 24 hours.
    => see if the iron settles to the bottom in a layer your could vacuum out.

If it does, that may be the best way to handle the bulk of the iron. (By the way; it's not stupid to have problems when there is a lot of iron in the water. Everyone does, till they work out a way to deal with it successfully!)

Just completed the Pool Chart Entry Form. I would love to drain the pool and start again, but that may take weeks, since our well is small and we only run the hose for 1 hour a day (sometimes 2). Do you think that keeping at least some of the water is a possibility? What are my options if I decide to keep the water in?

I will have to call around to my local pool retailers tomorrow to see if they carry any polyquat.

+ Reply to Thread