+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Dolphin run

Default First Dolphin run

Got a new Dolphin Dynamic yesterday. I was very impressed with it's first run. After 2 hours it had essentially picked up everything off the bottom and most important to me, looks like it will save or delay the expense of a new vinyl liner.
    We we got this home a couple years ago the liner was already badly wrinkled and I expected this spring to need a new one. The Polaris ATV got hung up and broke gears inside. The Barracude and another similar impule cleaner hung up too.

The Dolphin cruised over all of it.

I was especially impressed with the fine stuff that was in the filter when it came out. This will cut down on filter backwash and DE additions.

Hope the glow doesn't wear off in time. Love it so far.

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

Default Re: First Dolphin run

Quote Originally Posted by brent.roberts

Hope the glow doesn't wear off in time. Love it so far.
    It won't....I've had my Dolphin for a few years.Still doing a great job.

You can throw it in a clean pool and be amazed at how much fine stuff it picks up.

Also, it really cuts down on the need to backwash.

Now if the water would only warm up.....64 today.

I ran my Dolphin Diagnostic for the first time yesterday and all I can say is FANTASTIC! It picked up so much small stuff that I couldn't even see that would have probably gone past the skimmer right to the pump basket or filter so I expect it to save me somewhat on the cleaning chores of those.
    I vacuumed for the first time Thursday and found it difficult to do in the deep end so this thing is great. We all sat around the deck and watched it for too long! My dog was ingtrigued by it and growled and barked at when it crawled up the walls!

Some things to note: the instructions for the cart are useless. They are just very small drawings -no script. It took 4 of us about a half hour to figure them out.

The CD that comes with it was not for our cart and said it was pre-assembled, which it was not. Not 1 thing was pre-assembled and it had 3 different sets of screws with no direction on which to use where.

The filter bag is very messy to empty. I tried the suggestion here to rinse it in a bucket. That didn't seem to work too well for me. Maybe I need more practice. Next time I am going to let the bag dry out before I empty it. I think it might be easier to do it that way. I'll keep you posted.

Aside from those things it is great. My water is sparkling.
    I bought it from Leslies, sold as the Dolphin Deluxe, but it is the diagnostic. List price with cart is 999.99 but with a 20% off coupon I paid 800.00 before tax.

So far, I highly recommend it!

Glad to hear the Dolphin works so well, I ordered one from Costco a few days ago. Where did you find a 20% off coupon, maybe I should cancel my order and buy from them if I can find a coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by cleancloths
    Glad to hear the Dolphin works so well, I ordered one from Costco a few days ago. Where did you find a 20% off coupon, maybe I should cancel my order and buy from them if I can find a coupon.
    Go to www.Lesliespool.com and sign up for their email mailing list and their home catalog mailing list (put your email address in there as well and say you want to receive coupons). One of those mailing lists will email you a coupon pretty much right away which will end up being the 20% off one. Least it did for me. Expires July 31.

Cleancloths,

I bought the Diagnostic. I believe Costco has the Dymanic which is the same price as the Leslie's Diagnostic without the coupon so the Dynamic at Costco is probably a better deal. There are no Costco's near me so I didn't want to spend the extra 40 to get a membership. I got my coupon as mentioned above at Leslie's website.

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Yeah, will probably use my re-furbished Polaris 160 as target practice, fed up beyond belief. Looked at a Dolphin @ pool store demo, rather hypnotizing. My biggest concern (FEAR!!) is damage to liner from an underwater robotic. I remember someone last year or so posting severe liner damage from a robotic. Don't think it was a Dolphin, though. Anybody's get hung up on steps or ladders?

CaryB
    Go 'Canes!!!

I still have only run it once and I was watching to see if it would get hung up on anything. A few times I thought it was, but then it went into reverse and back down the wall. I didn't see it by the ladder and I saw it climb only one step. I didn't watch it the whole time though.I don't think I would ever run it at night while i was sleeping though just because you never know. I think I'll put it in around 7 am and let it run until someone wants to use the pool or it shuts itself off.
    BTW Ivyleager- I'm a Buffalo gal and if it wasn't for our decimated defense ...! Looks like they'll do it tonight. Congratulations.
    Last edited by poolbee; 06-14-2006 at 11:23 AM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

When the Dolphin Dynamic runs it's fantastic.

Unfortunately, mine went to the shop yesterday after only 2 years. I hope it's not TOO expensive to fix.

Cleaning the bag:
    1) If it's REALLY full, I turn it inside out so what can fall out falls out.
    2) then, inside out, I dunk it in a 5 gal bucket of pool water, swish it, squish it, and try to get the gunk out that accumulates in the corners of the bag when it's right-side out.
    3) Dump the bucket, refill, and do it again.
    4) When it's pretty clean, I either let it dry until I have a couple of bags for the washing machine, or it immediately goes in the washer.

To my mind, the idea is to get enough dirt out so it can go safely in the washing machine without clogging the Maytag.

It's not hard and a LOT easier than turning the bag inside out and trying to wash it with a hose.
    Carl

CarlD

That's what I did-turn it inside out and try with the hose! A mess! And the junk in the corners- ack! Then I tried swishing it in the bucket and the dirt just seemed to deposit itself on the inside and outside of the bag. I let is dry and it was easier to shake off the stuff that was left.

+ Reply to Thread