Closed Thread

Thread: How much Evaporation is normal in Florida

Question How much Evaporation is normal in Florida

I noticed that my new pool water level has gone down in the past 24 hours. It seems to be about 1/4 of an inch. I called my pool builder and they told me to keep an eye on it because when its hot in the day time and cooler at night (this time of year) a pool will evaporate more then it would when its hot day and night. My water has been the pool for two weeks now and I just started to notice this. We have used the pool three times and I have added a little water twice (I guess from my kids slashing this is normal). The first week before we used it the water level seem to stay the same. Has anyone in the Orlando FL area notice if there pool has lost some more water lately? Please help!!!

Default Re: How much Evaporation is normal in Florida

Take a clean 5 gallon bucket and place it on one of the pool steps and fill the bucket with pool water to the same level as the pool. Mark the level on the bucket. If the pool water falls below the water level in the bucket you have a leak. If the level in the buck drops but remains even with the pool the loss is due to evaporation.

Thank you!
    I will try this. How offen do you add water to your pool?

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

While not in Florida we are in South Texas. The pool water temperature is in the low 90s with nightime air temps in the upper 70's. We tend to use our pool for at least 10 months out of the year. Starting in June I begin to notice an increase in evaporation. We tend to get the majority of our rain in May but this year it's been dry. I added water to our 26000 gallon above ground pool last night for the first time in 3 weeks. The bucket technique works well for detecting leaks.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

I'm here in Florida as well. Since it's heating up, the evaporation level will start to pick up. General rule of thumb is anything more than 1/2 inch a day, and you need to watch it.

In addition to doing the bucket test, at the same time take a pencil, bend over the edge of the pool, and mark the level of the water on your tile.

This will give you a second reference point to the bucket test.

Check the level of the pencil mark, versus the bucket marks on both the inside and out to double gauge what's going on.

Closed Thread