+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new valve stiff and clicks/ air in returns

Default new valve stiff and clicks/ air in returns

2 questions:

Easy one first: the pool co replaced a tri valve and it now barely moves and clicks. It's going to break it's so tough. I'm assuming they forgot to lube it or something.....

Major one:

My pool was deadheaded by the pool company and caused a load of issues, burst pipe, overheated pump......

they replaced the pump, a few pipes and a valve. While each replacement reduced the bubbles, they are still there. Pool co says it's normal to have some bubbles. I didn't have bubbles before.

They are noticeable on all the returns.

I'm thinking they need to pressure test the whole system. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: new valve stiff and clicks/ air in returns

Sounds like there are still some issues somewhere--bubbles are NOT normal, unless you have a SWCG working. It means there's still air getting into the system somehow. Some of the equipment guys should be along shortly to offer you some thoughts...

Welcome to the forum!
    Janet

Thanks for the welcome.

I do have a SWCG. Nature 2 fusion soft. (I don't use the mineral cartridge as I understand that's not a good thing).

I just realized the same tools at the pool co didn't lubricate pump lid o-ring when they replaced the pump (last year this was the cause of bubbles in return but I assumed a newly installed pump they would have lubed it.... bad assumption). I just lubed the o-ring at the top and it reduced bubbles even further. Still there though. I have reverse heat system too which is running so the main drain at the moment is returning water (by the way this does work to heat the pool a lot faster). Every minute or so a big bubble is seen coming out of main drain. Sometimes the small air bubbles on the returns also appear to get worse intermittently so I'm sure air is in the system. I don't see any big bubbles at the pump but a load of very small bubbles are coming through.

The replacement valve (as well as original ones) have no name brand on them that I can see but the rest of the pool stuff is Zodiac/Jandy stuff, I'm sure the valves are not. They are gray with black plastic handle.Pool co seems to try to save money and in the end they cost themselves a ton or me the consumer. I'm thinking this not lubed or not installed correctly may be the air problem. At least I hope it is.

I'm a woman who is fairly handy but not very knowledgable yet on pools. The pool is just a year old so the equipment shouldn't be bad.

The filter has a reading of 17 and is a DE filter.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm not sure how much we can help you -- it sounds like you aren't thinking of DIY repairs.

So . . . I'm guessing the best advice I can give you is to have a couple of OTHER pool service guys come look at your pool. Pick the 2 who sound most reasonable, in their analysis of the issues at your pool, and check their references. Hire the one with the best references to fix the problems.

I can guess at some of the issues, but with out photos and LOTS of other details that are hard to gather over the internet, I'd only be guessing.

PS: You may want to delete your current antivirus program, and install Microsoft's free Security Essentials, and then run a COMPLETE scan. There were some strange aspects to your registration that *may* mean your computer is all infested and infected. (The details are techy - geeky stuff that 99.9% of the folks here wouldn't understand even if I say what they are.)

Here's the link to SE:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx
    (If you have an old computer that doesn't have Windows 7 or at least Vista, you'll have to get another AV.)

Be SURE to back up passwords, photos and such first. Some Trojans and rootkits infect Windows so deeply that when you remove them, your Windows installation is destroyed.

Id try to fix it myself if I could. I'm thinking to get a 3rd party to pressure test lines but I want the handle of the valve replaced first which I'm waiting for pool company to replace (all free so why do that part myself). The pool co who caused issues is not going to do anything else for me they claim.

Nature 2 fusionsoft using only swc and not the other cartridge
    pool is about 38k gallons
    I also lubed both the other valves on the pump. Still see minor air bubbles.
    Seals on filter are tight, no air in filter and pressure is currently at 16.
    I have no idea if heater is ok
    there are only very small bubbles on the pump side.

I have a reverse heat system and if I switch the valve so that water is returning to main drain, the amount of bubbles increase.

PS I ran antivirus with no issues showing. I'm pretty tech savvy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Probably need to send or post pics, if you want more from us.

Good luck.

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

As easy thing to try is tightening the drain plugs on the pump. These were loose on mine and it drove me crazy until someone on this forum told me about them. I didn't even know they existed. Anyway on my pump there are two drain plugs, on the left side of the pump as you are looking at it head on. They have little o-rings in them, and they just tighten by hand. My pump brand is Pentair, your arrangement may be slightly different, but in general they are on the side of the pump, towards the bottom. Just one more easy thing to try. Good luck.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

+ Reply to Thread