+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie from NKY

Default Newbie from NKY

Hello everyone! My name is Scott and I just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I will be purchasing an above ground pool next year to add to our home. We are looking at either a 15' x 33' oval or a 24' round pool. Just trying to figure out what will work in our yard. I look forward to reading all kinds of information on this forum. Thank you in advance for all the anticipated help!

Thank you.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Newbie from NKY

Welcome, Scott! Glad you found us! You'll love having a pool in your yard! I would advise you to do a lot of reading here on the forum and also on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good information there as well.

Hope you enjoy being a part of our forum!

Thank you for the link Watermom! I have already skimmed through some of it! Lots of good info.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are welcome. Let us know if you have further questions and we'll try and help.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Unsolicited advice #1:
    If you end up being able to fit either the round or the oval - I suggest the round, they're cheaper and mechanically simpler - the verticals and buttresses on the sides of an oval have to provide significant resistance to the water. Plus you can make a whirlpool in a round pool by everybody walking / swimming around until the water's flowing round and round - Fun.

Unsolicited advice #2:
    Get and learn to use the K-2006 before your pool's installed. In my opinion, it is the single most imnportant start-up chemical for a pool, next is water.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thank you for the advice Big Dave. I have read lots about using the proper test kits and not relying on test strips for accurate measurements. Believe me, that is the first thing I will purchase. I am leaning towards a round pool over an oval one for a few reasons. (mainly cost) Of course, our yard appears to be better shaped for an oval. I will keep everyone posted. Thank you!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership upgraded. -ben

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Pretty much all of us agree on the test kit. It will be the most cost-effective expense you ever make on your pool.

I disagree on the round vs oval pool as I like to swim laps and you can do that in an oval pool but you need an AMAZINGLY big round pool to be able to swim laps. An 18x33' oval with 4' of water holds about 13-15000 gallons, but a 33' round pool holds 25-26,000 gallons---and it is FAR HARDER to vacuum the center of a pool with a 15-17' radius!

Plus it takes up more space in your yard. A well-built and properly constructed oval can easily stand for 20 years.

Just IMHO.

Carl
    Carl

Here are a few picks of my backyard canvas for the pool. The deck you see is 24' wide for your reference. I think you can see why an oval might fit better. I know we are gonna have a nice dig because of the slope.

+ Reply to Thread