+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conversion from single to dual intake

Default Conversion from single to dual intake

Hi, I am a new pool owner (I've actually had it for five years, but still feel like a newbie). I bought the pool with my house, and the pool is about 20-30 years old. The pump pulls its water from the skimmer, and this is the only intake the pump draws from. However, there apears to be a hole in the bottom of the deep end of the pool, and in the skimmer there is a line coming up from the bottom which does not appear to do anything. I am told that this "passive" line in the skimmer is the line that goes to the hole at the bottom of the deep end of the pool (the hole has no grate or anything on it, it is just a 1 1/2 inch hole (which now has some rocks in it). The pool company that came out and showed me how to do basic maintenance on the pool are the ones who told me this, but they have gone out of business (I think they may have been the original builders of the pool, but I'm not sure of that).

As I understand it, it is safer to have two intakes, so that a persons hair or something can't get caught in the intake and trap the person there. So, I was thinking that it might make sense to convert that passive line to a second intake, by simply replacing the skimmer and replumbing in that process to pull directly from both, and fastening a grate over the hole in the deep end.

Does anyone have thougths on this? I'm not sure it is necessary, or even a good idea, because maybe that passive line actually serves some purpose - though I can't see any, as there is zero suction through it.

Thanks,

Paul

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Conversion from single to dual intake

I'm sorry that I can't help you with your question, but somebody here should be able to. I just wanted to pop in and say hi and welcome you to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by pgiering View Post
    As I understand it, it is safer to have two intakes, so that a persons hair or something can't get caught in the intake and trap the person there. So, I was thinking that it might make sense to convert that passive line to a second intake, by simply replacing the skimmer and re-plumbing in that process to pull directly from both, and fastening a grate over the hole in the deep end.
    The danger is from floor drains. To get stuck in a skimmer, and drown, you'd have to force your head down into the skimmer. The other problems is with evisceration, but few people could get there rump far enough down a skimmer for their to be a risk.

Hooking up that pipe would INCREASE, not decrease, the risk.

PS. It *would* be possible to rip a chunk of flesh off your hand, if you put it over the hole at the bottom of your skimmer . . . IF your pump has good suction.

Thanks PoolDoc.

I think I'll just let it stay the way it is!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

sounds like a plan!

+ Reply to Thread