+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Pump Valves (or lack thereof)

Default Pool Pump Valves (or lack thereof)

Hello,
    New to pool ownership, and new to the forum.

We just bought and moved into a new home in Ontario, Canada with a mostly rectangular (corners are angled) inground pool appox 18'-36', and approx 8' deep (i think, only based on jumping in, so not too scientific of a measurement).

The pump is a Hayward self-priming pump, and a sand filter. I've noticed that the suction from the pump is very strong - too strong in fact for the desired settings on our auto-pool vac (Barracuda G3). My skimmer has both the main drain and vacuum line in it, both are open. My pump however does not have any valves on it - just an intake from the pool (1 intake only), and outflow to the filter. The guy at my pool store said to try and partially close the valve..... which I don't have. My question is - should I install a valve? Is it as easy as cutting the inflow pipe, inserting a valve, and re-joining? If I do this, I will likely do it when I close the pool in October, or open the next spring.

Thanks!

Default To the Mod - Did I do something incorrectly?

Hello - just asking a question regarding my attempt at a first post/question. I posted Monday, July 23, and don't see anything, did not get a response.

Perhaps I screwed up somehow?

Just bought a new house with an inground pool approx 18'x36', 3 ft shallowend, 8' or more (not sure yet) deep end.

Never owned a pool, lots of questions re equipment and lovely green water and where to begin. In the meantime i'm reviewing as much of the forum as possible.

Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: To the Mod - Did I do something incorrectly?

I found your other post. Not sure why it didn't show up here to begin with. But, at any rate, now it is here. Unfortunately, I am not the one able to help you with this plumbing issue. We do have people who will be able to help and will hopefully see your question before too long. So, sit tight for a bit.

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum!

Thanks Watermom - looking forward to evolving from newb to experienced pool owner. Love how this is an independent community of owners helping owners.

Cheers.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Cdnpoolnewb View Post
    Love how this is an independent community of owners helping owners.
    That is what makes the Pool Forum work! Have a great day!

I can't answer whether you should install valves to and from the pump but I do know this: we have them on all the pipes and I cannot imagine managing some pool maintenance issues if we didn't have valves. Two things that comes to mind right away are opening the pump pot to clean it out and opening the inline chlorine feeder to add tabs. Even turning the pup off there would be gushers when the lids are removed. By closing the appropriate valve(s) I can perform those tasks without spilling a drop of water.

Other convenient applications for being able to isolate the pool from the equipment via valves are if you have filter issues (or pump issues) and need to make repairs, or if you want to control suction or return output for some reason, or, the way our plumbing is set up, if I wanted to change the pool light or increase flow from the opening - my pool light niche can act as a second return.

I'm all for valves!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

As AnnaK points out isolation valves (shut the pool water off from the equipment) make regular maintainance much eaisier especially when the equipment is below the waterline. I believe (and I open to correction) that if you want to throttle the flow through your system the best place for the throttling valve is on the pressure side of the pump before the filter.

Default Re: Pool Pump Valves (or lack thereof)

Thanks guys.

I want to have my pool closed professionally for me this year (and opened in the spring) - just so I can observe and learn how to do it correctly. I think I'll ask the service guys about adding an isolation valve - sounds like I should really have one.

Cheers.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Pump Valves (or lack thereof)

Quote Originally Posted by Cdnpoolnewb View Post
    I want to have my pool closed professionally for me this year (and opened in the spring) - just so I can observe and learn how to do it correctly.
    An excellent idea (one I've recommended often ), and so is asking them about the valve!

+ Reply to Thread