+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low PH-10Lb of Borax Had No Effect

Default Low PH-10Lb of Borax Had No Effect

I am and have been suffering from low PH all summer. Put 10 lbs of baking soda in, with no change in the PH. 2 weeks latter added 10 lbs of Borax. No change in PH.

What am I doing wrong? Why can I not get the PH up?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a problem with low ph. Have dumped 10 lbs of Borax, 1/2 box at a time, an no effect on the ph. Water is crystal clear. PH is below 6.0, chlorine is a high 5.

EDIT by Moderator: 2 posts in the queue were merged.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Low PH-10Lb of Borax Had No Effect

What kind of kit are you using? Borax is used to raise pH and baking soda is used to raise alk. I do not know of a pH test that can differentiate a reading that low. If you are below 7.0, you need to continue to add Borax. Readings below 7.0 are acidic and can damage your pool. What is the volume of the pool?

Actually, go ahead and fill in your pool's information in our pool chart as this makes it easier for us to give you good advice.

Pool Chart Entry Form

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

I am using a kit that uses drops but will only test chlorine and PH. I have ordered one of the good kits but have not received it yet. This is an inground vynal liner pool. Aproximately 20,000 gallons of water. Covered in the winter with a Loop Lock nylon cover.

I have had a problem with PH from day one. Using city water to bring the pool up to skimmer level along with whatever rainfall we get.

Using 3 inch chlorine tablets in a Hayward chlorine feeder. Shock the pool once a week with a powder shock packet bought at Kmart.

Filter runs continously, backwashed every week or more depending upon how many times it is vacumed.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Chances are that the Borax hasn't yet made a difference because your ph is reading at the lowest level on your tester--but is actually much lower than that! It can take lots and lots of Borax, but you need to get that pH up.

Trichlor tabs are very acidic and will drive your pH down. Check the ingredients on that powder shock you're using, too--if it's sodium dichloro.....(lots more syllables), then it is also part of why your pH is so low. AS Watermom said, you need to get that pH up above 7.0, ASAP--before your liner is shot.

Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership upgraded. you can post now! sorry! -ben

+ Reply to Thread