+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Default Salt Water Chlorine Generator

I purchased a salt water system (chlorine generator) and have a question that Polaris has yet to answer either in their documentation or emailed question. Is it required that the cell be installed downline from the filter or can it be installed upline from the filter? I have a space issue and plumbing
    for installing the cell downline will be a problem. I've attached a photo of the pump set up. Also, can anyone identify what is what? This is a new (to me) home and pool and I am wanting to know all I can about this plumbing setup and pool. i.e. Which way do I turn the Jandy valves when I want to vacuum? My signature will indicate all my pool specs. There are additional eyeball jets located behind seating area in pool. (that will likely explain the Jandy downline from the filter)
    Attached Images
    20,000 gal
    in-ground gunite
    DE filter
    Letro Legend

cajunfla is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst cajunfla 0

Default Re: Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Maybe a photo form a little farther away would help more. It is hard to see what runs where. Sorry I couldn't be of any real help.

I'm sorry about that. Here is another. Thanks for any help you could throw my way. I appreciate it.

Cheers
    20,000 gal
    in-ground gunite
    DE filter
    Letro Legend

Had to compress image a bit more.

Thanks
    Attached Images
    20,000 gal
    in-ground gunite
    DE filter
    Letro Legend

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Can't really speak about the Polaris unit specificlly but all the SWG cells that I am familiar with are plumbed after the pump/filter/heater on the return to the pool. Same as an inline chorinator would be. You have to realize that the chlorine level in the cell is very high when it is generating (sort of a 'supershock') and that level of chlorine would not be good for the equipment.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

From the picture you should have plenty of room to do some re-plumbing for your SWC (IMHO).

PVC is cheap, and really easy to work with (if you have the right tools and you spend some time thinking about your setup). I'd think you could solve your problem for less than $25.
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

Question Re: Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Attached is the section where I'd have to fit in a 12 inch cell. I'm no plumber but do have a considerable amount of experience. Thinking of all the 90 deg.
    I'd have to install seems to be asking for trouble/leaks. Any suggestions?
    I have considered moving the whole Jandy assembly out but this would protrude 14 inches over the sidewalk. Not a viable solution.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all the suggestions I can get.

Cheers
    Attached Images
    20,000 gal
    in-ground gunite
    DE filter
    Letro Legend

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

Another reason the cell is plumbed after the filter, heater, etc is to protect the cell from contamination. I don't think you want all the pre-filter junk going thru the cell.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

It looks like you have enough room for the cell on the left side of the Jandy valve (vertical). Dig down into the ground and install the cleaner T underground with the 1" pipe 90 out of the ground (making room). This should give you enough room to install. You will have to put a union on the pipe coming from the pump, a coupler or union on the right side of the Jandy valve, unscrew the site glass and unscrew the filter unions to do this. Hope this helps

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Blond, welcome to the forum, If you move the boosterpump feed to the line comming from the pump into the filter, you'll have all the room you need on that 2" return line to place the cell and flow switch. Hopefully this hasn't come too late
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread