+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: White splotches, spots, and lines (stains/fading?) in 3 year old fiberglass pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: White splotches, spots, and lines (stains/fading?) in 3 year old fiberglass pool

I looked at your pool cooler:

I need to talk to them. I would have expected a cooler like that to be useless in Louisiana.

As to what I think of your pool company's chemical advice - I thought I'd made that clear. They are chemical idiots: if they knew even a little about pool chemistry, they'd never claim that the scale was calcium chloride!

Also, I'd bet on your problem being purely a manufacturing defect. If you think there's the slightest chance of legal action, I'd save EVERY thing you can from them. If you can find the "calcium chloride scale" claim, in writing save, date, and get a witness signature on the copy. Take that into court, and with ANY swimming pool witness, it's a slam-dunk to show that they don't have a clue.

Ideal ranges -- for them -- are going to be anything they claim, or hope, will reduce the appearance of their defects, and have nothing to do with actual pool chemistry. If you can do so without destroying your pool, follow their guidelines, regardless of how stupid they are, and document doing so.

And if going to court is an option, I'd talk to an attorney sooner rather than later. Of course, the company may be near bankruptcy, in which case you've just got to do the best you can. I'd certainly want to find out what I could about the company's finances. If you can sue first, you may be able to get a settlement BEFORE they go belly up!

Default Re: White splotches, spots, and lines (stains/fading?) in 3 year old fiberglass pool

Ben,

I appreciate your comments. You have made yourself clear. Thanks for being so helpful. I can give you a dealer's site who posted the actual letter from the manufacturer's service manager which includes the "formation of CaCl claim" if you are interested. (I think I may have already emailed this specific info to you. Did you get the manufacturer info?) I know there are others out there with the same problem for them to post the letter.

I am keeping notes on everything. This is why we are waiting for THEM to come in person and try for themselves to remedy our situation. No more phone conversations and having them dismiss our concerns with their ludicrous cause-effect scenarios. We are outdone.

Again, thanks!

Had another guy out here to look at a couple things. He definitely thinks there is a serious problem with the gel coat. He has also recommended we get our ducks in a row and prepare for legal action. He thinks it is a slam dunk. (Just so you know, we are not people who easily can sue anyone. This is difficult for us.) What luck! Very stressing!

He pointed out some "bubbling/blistering" on the steps. This is new! Is this our fault? Low alkalinity? He said even if our alkalinity was low, this should not be happening.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm not recommending suing -- often the only side that wins when you do are the parasitic attorneys, who feed on BOTH sides. But sometimes a 'lawyer letter' can work wonders, especially when a company is still trying keep a disastrous product problem under wraps. They may fix you up, to keep you from getting the lawsuits started.

( I think I did get your email -- I'm almost caught-up enough to have time to go check )

Thanks for the response. I's sorry about all the questions. We are thinking of just a letter to get them out here quickly.

Why the blistering? They vary in size.. smaller than a dime. Is it osmotic blisters? They are the color of the pool. Noticing them on the steps. (These are not part of the textured surface for traction.) So frustrating!

I can't thank you enough.

I know it's frustrating -- my sympathies. No idea why it's blistering; I know almost nothing about the actual chemistry and manufacturing of fiberglass, so I can't even guess.

+ Reply to Thread