+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AG walls

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: AG walls

Thanks for the update and pics!

As far as I can tell from the pics, the top is pulling in and, therefore, external support won't do any good

It's your pool and you can do whatever you want with it but, my considered opinion is that adding more bracing will simply be a 'waste' of time and energy (take a look at my previous post for the real cause of this).

I don't see this as a serious probem, but check the things I mentioned when you next install a new liner.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Barry J is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Barry J 0

I just sent the pics from the two corners I braced in.
    If I could have sent the "video" of the walls flexing, you would see that the tops move a little outward. Since, I did these two sides, it does not flex when my daughters make alot of waves.
    Not that much of a waste of time, since I'm doing the rocks and wood around the pool over anyway, just adding a couple of 2x4s. Then I might take those wooden supports and add a triangle shapes piece around the supports and paint it white and mount a light onto it.
    Just wanted to know if the braces would cause any ill effects to pool.
    thanks for your suggestions and comments, much appreciated.
    Barry

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

-

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Two comments:

1. You can post a video on YouTube, and link to it from here.
    2. Toenailing a 2x4 to another 2x4 is not likely to provide much long-term support, where the loads are dynamic (flexing) and in a direction that will tend to work the toe-nails out of the wood.

Are you sure the pool is steel? I have a round 27' Esther Williams (sister company to JW) and my pool walls look like yours(slat construction) and it is made of aluminium. Have you tried a magnet on them to verify they are steel? The only reason I ask is if you have pressure treated directly in contact with aluminium it will severely corrode the aluminium very quickly. You need to place some copper flashing between the wood and the aluminium to prevent galvanic corrosion.
    27' Esther Williams above-ground

Yes, you are right my pool is aluminium. and not steel...my bad Another way I can get around the "PT" vs aluminium corrosion, is replace the "PT" with kiln dried wood painted. I planned on painting the wood white anyway to make it look better. But, on the "PT" vs aluminium ....The "PT" wood running parallel to the ground on the bottom that you see in the picture have been there against the pool walls since I've owned the house (14years). And there is no signs of corrosion. As for the support of the 2x4s...screwed in outdoor deck screws at an angle at the botton and plus added a metal brace (see bottom of support)...seems pretty sturdy. The flexing isn't enough to rip those screws out.

FYI. Older PT, labeled CCA, was arsenic based and wasn't corrosive to al. New stuff in the last decade, labeled ACQ, is very corrosive. Why the switch? Blame the bs from environmentalists and lawyers.
    27' Esther Williams above-ground

Ok, I'll go with painted kiln dried 2x4s and keep an eye on it

+ Reply to Thread