+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bleach vs Chlorine Help.

Default Bleach vs Chlorine Help.

My wife thinks I am crazy that I am going to use bleach in our pool. I keep telling her thats its not a problem and will do the job just fine. Can anyone provide me with some info on this so I can so her that I am not doing anything crazy here and it wont hurt anyone? That would really help me win this discussion.

Thanks in advance
    Frank

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Bleach vs Chlorine Help.

Frank,

The best answer is the simplest one...Cl is Cl..period. You can put it in your pool with pool store stuff (along with junk you probably don't need) or you can put it in your pool with bleach (and, essentially, nothing Added).

There's a good chance ya'll use it in your laundry at about 200ppm. If you haven't grown any extra arms or legs, it oughta' be okay at 3-5ppm in your pool.

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

My first thought would be go buy a gallon of liquid chlorine (or liquid shock) from wal-mart, k-mart or wherever. Check the label to see it lists Sodium Hypochlorite and the concentration (should be 10.5 or 12%). Then buy a gallon of ultra bleach and you should find the same ingredient listed but at a lower concentration (5.25 or 6%). Now you show her that laundry bleach is the same stuff only weaker so it is even less dangerous than what pool stores sell.

Peter

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

YOu can also let her know that of the roughly 2000 posters here, 95 + percent of us use bleach in our pools!

Janet

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Sodium hypochlorite is sodium hypochlorite whether it is labeled liquid bleach, liquid chlorine, or liquid shock. The only difference is the concentration and therefore how much you use. Laundry bleach is either 5.25% for regular or 6% for ultra and the pool store stuff is either 6%, 10% or 12.5%. Also be aware that the stronger the concentration the faster it loses strength. So that botttle of 10% or 12.5% you bought at the pool store might only be around 6-8% by the time it goes into your pool but that bottle of ultra bleach is probably going to be at 6% unless you've been storing it for a year in your garage.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

One other reason to use bleach as opposed to the other types of chlorine is the byproducts. Show her the chemical name for trichlor or dichlor. The other stuff going in beside the chlorine is not good to be putting in the pool continually - a buildup of cyuranic acid can cause chlorine to not kill the bacteria and viruses at the same concentration of chlorine. The only other reaonable chlorine sanitizer is calcium hypochlorite. The byproduct makes the water harder. The water doesn't feel as good, and can cause staining and buidups at the water line and in the plumbing of heaters. Bleach byproduct is simnply salt - This makes the water softer (although not by much at the levels used for sanitation).

I fought Maxx's fight last year. Just getting ready to start a new battle.

Problem is, even though all this advice is right on, some people you just can't confuse with the facts.

I just do it. It's hard for her to argue with the results.

CToon is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst CToon 0

Maxx , like Rangeball said , I had the same reaction but its hard to argue with the results...

The only problem I REALLY had was getting the levels right after years of "pool store" abuse. Using the information I found here , I was able to overcome a CYA of 100 , ph that was always wacky , and working way to hard to keep things in check.

But now that I have it in order , she loves the crystal clear water and I love Ben and the fine folks here
    Last edited by CToon; 05-28-2006 at 10:29 AM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

"My mind's made up. Don't confuse me with facts!"

(seen on a co-worker's desk)

Just do it. It's always easier to apologize than get permission.
    Carl

How much bleach should you add then? I have a 18' pool, around 8000 gallons if I am not mistaken. I have a Nature 2 system, and since getting it, the pool has become alot less of a chore, we used to spend a lot of time fighting the algae and cloudy issues that would spring up out of nowhere.

I think that using bleach would save a ton of money, so how much do you use, a gallon at a time til you get used to it, or is it less than that?

+ Reply to Thread