+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 475 gallons, how much powder "Ultra Shock" to use??????

Exclamation 475 gallons, how much powder "Ultra Shock" to use??????

Finally got a larger pool then we've ever had, but it's still small. 475 gallons. Has a 300 gallon pump/ filter that came with it. I have no clue how to take care of anything like this without completely draining it, scrubbing it and re filling it every time and that's a huge job with a bigger pool like this. I just want it to stay as clean as possible without having to completely drain the darn thing....while also being safe for my 3 kids under 7 years old. I went to a pool supply store and the lady sold me a $5 1lb bag of "Ultra Shock" powder. She said to get this kind because it is 97% chlorine instead of having added shellfish fillers that cloud the water. Anyway, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack getting an answer to this question, I guess because everyone else has bigger pools. This bag of chlorine powder has no directions on it for small pools and the lady said to use 1/2 pound (1/2 bag) for my pool. Does this sound right? I am really scared that I will over chlorinate and don't want to poison my kids. I have no idea what I'm doing. HELP.
    Thanks guys
    -Shannon

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: 475 gallons, how much powder "Ultra Shock" to use??????

These little tiny pools are harder to give doses for. Let me ask PoolDoc to take a look at your question for you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Thank you so much. Just really scared she sold me something too strong. Wondering what's the safest thing to use for small pools like this, I know I'm not the first to have one and someone must know lol.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK. Treatment for a 500 gallon mini-pool.

1. Get a cheap OTO/phenol red test kit at Walmart.
    2. Buy 2 gallons of PLAIN 6% GV bleach.
    3. Buy a 4.75 lb box of borax
    4. Buy a container of spa acid, or get it from Amazon.
    5. Buy anything you can't find, plus the other items, from Amazon.

Then do this:

Start-up treatment
    1. Drain and refill your pool.
    2. Add 1/2 cup of bleach; add 1 cup of borax; add 1/2 cup of dry acid.
    3. Mix completely and test.
    => If chlorine is not > 3 ppm, add a 2nd cup of bleach
    => If pH is greater than 7.8, add 1/8 cup of acid
    => If pH is less than 7.2, add 1/4 cup of borax
    => Wait 1/2 hr and retest. Add again, as needed.
    4. Once everything is adjusted, move to daily treatment.

Daily treatment:
    1. Test pH and chlorine each AM, and add 1 teaspoon of polyquat.
    => If pH is greater than 7.8, add 1 tablespoon of dry of acid; if pH is less than 7.2, add 1/8 cup of borax
    => If chlorine is less than 1.0, increase your PM dose by 1/8 cup of bleach; if chlorine is greater than 5 pm decrease your PM dose by 1/8 cup
    2. Add 1/2 cup (plus/minus adjustments) bleach EACH evening, within an hour or so of sunset.
    3. Add 1/4 cup of bleach after EACH swim period.
    4. Drain and refill every 2 weeks, if you are swimming regularly.

Walmart items:
    HTH 6-Way Test Kit if available; otherwise whatever OTO / phenol red kit they have.
    PLAIN 6% household bleach (Walmart Great Value bleach) => big box store brands are preferable,
    since they are (a) usually 6%, & (b) not mixed with goop, like some Clorox blends
    20 Mule Team Borax
    granular spa or small pool acid?
    plastic measuring spoons and cups -- use SEPARATE measuring containers for acid and chlorine.

Amazon items:
    Polyquat info & purchase link
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 2.5lbs
    Leisure Time 22338 Spa Down, 2-1/2-Pound
    Read the Intex recipe, in this section. If you buy some dichlor, we'll help you with doses. Dichlor would be easier than bleach, but you'll have to buy from Amazon to be sure of getting un-gooped-up dichlor.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-15-2012 at 08:25 AM.

OMG, holy cow. Ok, wait. As I definitely appreciate the time you put into that reply PoolDoc, I am not looking to start a laboratory, nor spend any more money than I already have (recently divorced Mom of 3 and funds are limited . This is crazy lol. I just want to know what ONE powder or ONE liquid I can use to treat a 475 gal pool once a week to keep the water clear, and how much is a safe amount. Want to keep it that simple. I've already spent money on the Ultra Shock powder, can I or can I not use it at all?
    WOW, what have I gotten myself into?? This is a $45 kid pool! LOL

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
    I just want to know what ONE powder or ONE liquid I can use to treat a 475 gal pool once a week to keep the water clear, and how much is a safe amount. Want to keep it that simple.
    Yep. So do lots of people. And pool stores LOVE to sell folks that 'one perfect ingredient' -- though if you read the fine print, you'll find that they don't actually claim in any legal manner, to do what you want. That way, you can't sue. And, they can sell you ANOTHER 'one perfect ingredient', when the first doesn't work.

I'm gonna be frank: your problem is,
    (a) it's HARDER to keep a 500 gallon pool safe and sanitary, than it is a 5,000 gallon pool, and
    (b) the laws of chemistry, physics and biology won't re-write themselves just because you don't like their effect on your life.

Albert Einstein is reported to have claimed that when he explained things, he tried to make the explanation "as simple as possible, but no simpler!". We try very hard to make pool care as simple as possible. But, you want it to be SIMPLER than is possible.

No can do.

But, if you insist on keeping it "THAT" simple, add 1/2 cup of bleach every evening, and 1/4 cup every time someone swims, and drain the pool weekly. That may work out OK, and at least it will reduce the chance of someone getting sick. It's not really an adequate method, and if you have more than 2 or 3 people in there, it may not be safe. I wouldn't let MY family in your pool!

But, it will be safer than doing nothing.

Good luck!

That's what I was looking for, someone to tell me if it is simple or not to keep this pool clear by treating it. Then, I could make a more educated decision on whether to just empty it once or twice a week and refill or treat it. So far, cleaning and refilling looks like the safest way.
    I certainly wasn't looking for any sciences to change their laws to suit my life (??), was just looking for answers to something that I was new at and needed guidance with, and asked a simple question about it being simple. When you're on your own with three little ones, you don't have half the day to spend on a pool, so you have to make sure you know the simplest way.
    So refill, I WILL! I may try once to empty half of the water out that's in there now, add fresh water and a quarter of this bag of Ultra Shock powder. Keep it vaccumed and skimmed and add fresh water and the powder once-a-weekish. We'll see how it goes.
    Thanks, Doc!

I'm glad you found something helpful here.

I find it frustrating that puddle pools are sold without any hint about how difficult it can be to keep them clean and safe!

If you limit the number of swimmers, add bleach as described, and drain and refill regularly . . . you'll be MUCH safer than otherwise. I'm not sure about the UltraShock -- so many pool chemicals now are compounded from a chemical 'voodoo soup', that know one knows what's in them, and some ingredients used can cause real problems.

I'd encourage you to use the PLAIN 6% bleach, instead of some "UltraShock" with unknown ingredients. Because of the way 'shock' is labeled, it may NOT contain ANYTHING that kills germs effectively!

+ Reply to Thread