+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to the forum

Default New to the forum

I've found lots of answers to my pool questions here and enjoy reading what others have to say about their systems. My pool is a 27' Radiant with sand filter. For water conditioning, I have a Water Doctor copper ionizer. This is the fourth summer we've had our pool and we love it. We have a problem with an indentation in the liner bottom. We've ordered Boxer kit and plan to cover the indentation with a patch. As far as we can tell, there's no leak but before installing the patch we'll try the food coloring test. We suspect a critter may be responsible for undermining the liner in that spot. The depression is about 4 1/2" in diameter and an inch and a half deep to two". I have a couple of questions - will a depression this size require more than one layer of patch material and will it hold since the adhesive will only contact the liner around the edges of the depression? DanMan

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New to the forum

Hi Dan,

I can't answer your question, but I will alert Waste, who is a forum member and one of the resident liner experts, to pop in here and see if he can help you out.

Welcome to the forum!
    Janet

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome aylad. Liner repair is due to commence after lunch. The sellers of Boxer 100 told DanMan to use liner material from pool store for repair as large as the one we're doing (4 1/4" x 3 3/4" x 1 1/4" depression). We have the liner material and the solvent. Food dye test showed no signs of leakage. Hope this repair will keep a leak from occuring. Boxer 100 seller said to use the material included in their kit to make an "X" over the top of the liner patch. If there are any reservations by forum members, we'd welcome comments. Mrs. DanMan
    Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    Hi Dan,

I can't answer your question, but I will alert Waste, who is a forum member and one of the resident liner experts, to pop in here and see if he can help you out.

Welcome to the forum!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I can't help with your liner repair question but had another comment I wanted to share.

Are you aware that copper is what stains pools, fingernails and what turns blonde hair green? The popular notion is that it is chlorine that does this, but it is the copper. We always advise people to stay FAR AWAY from putting coppers in their pools. Just wanted to throw that out there for you in case you weren't aware of this fact.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Thanx Watermom for the welcome. Yes, we're aware of copper turning things green. The pool isn't an issue - no staining after 4 years. Fingernails not a problem either. Hair is another story. Of the 4 people who use the pool almost daily, two are dark blondes, one dark brunette with some grey and one white (me). I'm the only one with green hair which I use a clarifying shampoo to take care of. Our water condition has been excellent using the Water Doctor (not something we have to use all the time). Thanks for the caution tho. Mrs. DanMan

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Mr. and Mrs. DanMan, welcome to The Forum!

It's probably too late but here is some basic patching info.

Please let us know how the patch holds up. I've got a radical idea on patching a crevasse that I'll share with you, should you need the info.

Thanks for joining us and I hope you have nothing but a well enjoyed pool the rest of the season.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Waste - Thanx for the welcome. And it's not too late, we didn't do the patch today. Swimmers showed up hoping to escape from the heat so the patching was put off until maybe tomorrow. We've both read your description of how to patch a hole - very helpful to see it laid out step by step. Pictures made it even better. We welcome your crevasse patching idea. I haven't seen anything in my Google searches about crevasses. Doing searches for patches really turns up some weird stuff. Lots about drug patches. This forum seems to have a lot of people willing to share their experiences and ideas. We're DIY-ers and are always looking for the best way to do the job. By the way, if a partial message shows up somewhere, I got lost doing a reply while looking back at the "patching a leak" thread. Sorry for the clutter if that happens.
    Thanx again - DanMan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    We suspect a critter may be responsible for undermining the liner in that spot. The depression is about 4 1/2" in diameter and an inch and a half deep to two".
    Sounds like you may have a mole, or three, or more. I'm not sure why, but this year we've had a bunch of questions about them. No feedback, so far, on how things worked out.

However it appears the only solution to moles involves killing them. Not sure what you think about that, but repeated excavations like that, under your pool could get to be serious problem.

Could be it was a mole exploring the territory. We have a lot of moles around here - and very sandy soil. Should we find ourselves needing a new liner, we plan to do something that would deter critters digging up from underneath. Right now we're about to do the patch. Had hoped to hear what Waste's idea for crater repair was.

Mrs. DanMan

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Sounds like you may have a mole, or three, or more. I'm not sure why, but this year we've had a bunch of questions about them. No feedback, so far, on how things worked out.

However it appears the only solution to moles involves killing them. Not sure what you think about that, but repeated excavations like that, under your pool could get to be serious problem.

+ Reply to Thread