Closed Thread

Thread: What's the deal with Njonas chemicals?

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Question What's the deal with Njonas chemicals?

I just became a first-time pool owner (24' above ground) due to be installed soon and I have been doing some research about the chemicals needed to maintain the pool. I came across this site and I like what I see so far.
    I heard about the Njonas chemical line (Enjoy/Relax) which advertises itself as "low chlorine" but there is no information on their website that discusses exactly what chemicals are being used or why it is considered low chlorine. Is anyone familiar with these products? Is this just a marketing gimmick?
    From what I have seen here, the three-B solution (bleach borax and baking soda) looks like it makes a lot of sense but I would like to understand what the alternatives are. I have seen the Dichlor and Trichlor options discussed and I'm not interested in Baquacil/Revivacil so I would appreciate any information about the Njonas products. Are there any negatives to using bleach (eye irritation, bathing suit fading, women's hair color effects etc.)?
    Thanks. Peter

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Peter,

Like you, I came across this site a few years ago and it just all made sense. Ben, who understands pool chemistry without parallel, has stripped all the confusion and marketing mumbo-jumbo and come up with a "system" that is really no system at all....just a basic understanding of what's necessary for a pool....nothing more. He won't even sell you the "system" 'cause it's at the grocery store!!

Never heard of Njonas......almost assuredly a company that has "blurred" the idea of pool chemistry to make you think they can do something others can't with less work for you.....don't count on it.

"Are there any negatives to using bleach?" Used properly, virtually none....used carelessly, you bet.

Keep reading....you'll enjoy the site.

Dave S.
    Last edited by duraleigh; 03-28-2006 at 08:46 PM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Eye irritation is usually caused by either pH problems, or by chloramines, which are the result of the chlorine combining with "goo" of some kind and oxidizing it....the remedy there is to add more chlorine (bleach) in order to completely oxidize the "goo". It is possible to bleach bathing suits, but only if your chlorine level is too high, but proper water testing will prevent that. As far as hair turning green, the culprit there isn't chlorine--it's copper in the water, due to well water or copper products (like copper-based algaecide) added to the water.

Never heard of the other chemicals, but I'll bet that if you can't find specifics on them, there's probably a reason why.........

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I agree with Janet.

Pool chemistry is cheap and simple--if you follow our rules. All these "magic" pool solutions are no better and no easier. Usually, they follow the Nature2 pattern of adding copper and silver to the water in constant minute amounts, to hopefully control algae and reduce other chemical use.

But even if you believe that Nature2 works (and I don't because they don't publish their ingredients or test results), do the arithmetic. The cheapest N2 cartridge is about 90 bucks, for the smaller pools. You need to replace it at a minimum every season. Regular 5.25% bleach can be found for $1. So that's 90 gallons. If you go through 90 gallons of bleach a summer in a smaller pool, well then you are probably doing something wrong...You should use about half that. (16 weeks of summer in New Jersey, that's 3 gallons a week--about right on average). So your cartridge costs twice what you would pay in bleach, to cut your bleach usage in half--from 45 gallons to, what? 25?....How is THAT saving you money? Pay $90 to save $20?????

Nope, replace "magic" with our methods and you will not spend lots of time or money on your pool, and will have clean, safe water. 2 -5 minutes a day, and 15 minutes once a week (for a full battery of tests), plus a weekly vacuuming--and auto cleaners are always available....I splurged on a Dolphin Dynamic so I don't vacuum either--it does, overnight.
    Carl

Closed Thread