+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace 3 pumps with a single VS?

Default Replace 3 pumps with a single VS?

I have a 23000gal pool with pcc2000 infloor cleaning system,waterfall and heatpump, DE filter. I currently have 3 pumps, one 1.5hp for filter and heatpump, one pump for cleaning system, one pump for waterfall. The pool is 10 years old but I have owned it for only 1.5 years (My first pool). My question is:

Is it possible or even a good idea to replace the 3 pumps with a VS pump and smart controller? I have multiple incoming pipes, floor,skimmer,sidewall for the various pumps. Are smart controllers able to open a valve for the cleaner and kick up the speed on the pump when it's cleaning time? or open a valve for the waterfall and kick up the speed? I would like to do the work myself but i am having technical info. Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Bruce

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Replace 3 pumps with a single VS?

It's possible. How much repiping it would take, and how many new automatic valves are another question you'd have to answer.

Plus, it would probably increase your power bill, unless you hook the VS pump to a controller that can manage 3 separate loads, and adjust pump rpm to the load. Even with such a controller, my guess is the chance of getting the controller programmed correctly is small. I know in this area, the pool guys can't do it, and have to wait till the factory rep makes a circuit.

If you want to save costs, or reduce noise:

1. Replace your main pump motor with a 2 speed, with the appropriate timer.
    2. Use the infloor cleaning system for the minimum hours -- those systems are a massively inefficient way to clean a pool!
    3. Make sure the fountain only runs when you're there to enjoy it, maybe by setting it up with a 1 hour countdown timer -- you turn it own manually, and it runs for 1 hour.

Thanks for the reply.
    After doing more research I feel that replaceing the 2 pumps (filter cleaner) with a single VS/VF is probably the way to go.
    I really don't see the problem with the programming of the system. I would need one complete pool turnover per day over a 21 hour period (I have 3 hours of expensive electricty). I would need to open the cleaner valve and kick up the flow for the 4 hour clean cycle. The two pumps are plumbed as follows: ( / is a valve to select skimmer/floow drain intake.)

-- skimmer ---- / --- filter pump --- filter --- heater --- return
    --- floor drain --

-- skimmer - cleaner pump -- cleaner valves -- floor cleaners

The skimmer has 2 sperate intakes one to the cleaner pump and one to the filter pump with a 3 way valve for selecting skimmer/floor.

The waterfall is actually plumbed with 2.5" and a high flow pump that is on a remote. We run the waterfall rarly.

If I replumb the two pumps to one then the cleaners would also be going through the filter and heater. Not sure if that would be a problem or if I would have enough flow. The current intake from the skimmer to the cleaner pump is not really needed but I would just tee the two skimmer lines together at the selection valve.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    It's possible. How much repiping it would take, and how many new automatic valves are another question you'd have to answer.

Plus, it would probably increase your power bill, unless you hook the VS pump to a controller that can manage 3 separate loads, and adjust pump rpm to the load. Even with such a controller, my guess is the chance of getting the controller programmed correctly is small. I know in this area, the pool guys can't do it, and have to wait till the factory rep makes a circuit.

If you want to save costs, or reduce noise:

1. Replace your main pump motor with a 2 speed, with the appropriate timer.
    2. Use the infloor cleaning system for the minimum hours -- those systems are a massively inefficient way to clean a pool!
    3. Make sure the fountain only runs when you're there to enjoy it, maybe by setting it up with a 1 hour countdown timer -- you turn it own manually, and it runs for 1 hour.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Suit yourself.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread