+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Alkalinity (175) but leaving for vacation

Default High Alkalinity (175) but leaving for vacation

My TA has been running between 120 and 130 this summer but I just tested and it came in at 175. Other readings:
    FC 1.5 (I was at 3.0 a few days ago but have been adding water - see below)
    CC 0.0
    PH 7.6
    CYA 100

I began to suspect over the past week that I had a leak as water level appeared to drop surprisingly low and I marked level with tape before dark and checked first thing in morning which confirmed more loss than just evaporation. I have my pool installer coming over (hopefully tomorrow) but in the meantime, I've been adding water with my hose. I can only assume from the sudden spike in Alkalinity that my well water caused the increase. The Alk was previously higher than I wanted but I was delaying with treatment as the muriatic acid process scared me a bit. Should I be taking care of the high alk before leaving for 11 days or is it best to deal with it now? Any other info needed?
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder; Hayward DE 4820 DE filter; Pentair Superflo VS pump; 12-14 hourshrs; Taylor K-2006; delivered via truck; summer: solar; winter: mesh; ; PF:4.8

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: High Alkalinity (175) but leaving for vacation

I wouldn't worry about an alk of 175 NEARLY as much as I worry about cl at 1.5 with a CYA of 100. Better get some chlorine in there quick, or you're gonna come home to a swamp!!

Your alk will be okay, but 8 ppm is the minimum for cl with CYA that high....

Default Re: High Alkalinity (175) but leaving for vacation

Thanks Aylad. Will get that chlorine taken care of. I had been at 8 ppm but it's gone down as the well water enters the pool.
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder; Hayward DE 4820 DE filter; Pentair Superflo VS pump; 12-14 hourshrs; Taylor K-2006; delivered via truck; summer: solar; winter: mesh; ; PF:4.8

+ Reply to Thread